Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout with Hooker Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout with Hooker Catback?

Hey guys, I have a hooker catback on order and after some last minute research I'm thinking about a cutout (manual, at least until I get more money to buy an electric valve). I've read that the hooker catback is pretty quiet, almost like stock. Right now I'm on stock manifolds and y-pipe, but this summer I will be doing LT's and ORY, so for a couple of months I'll be on stock manifolds with the hooker catback. My question is, should I get a cutout now and put it in with the catback? Or is the hooker plenty loud just not crazy like the loudmouth 1? I want the car to be louder than stock but not terribly drony at cruising speeds.

If it's any help, my friend has a bassani quiet thunder catback and runs an open cutout almost all the time and his car is right about where I want mine if not slightly quieter.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a cutout. That way you can have loud and tame. Cutout on stock manifolds and cats sounds good to me. Now that I have LT's/ORY, the cutout is really loud but I still like it most of the time. My catback is really quiet, that is why I wanted the option to make it loud with a cutout. Good luck on whatever you decide man.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an electric cutout in front of my Hooker catback. With the Cats on it was quiet now with my LT and ORY it is a little loud. Not near as loud as the LM. With the cutout open it is extremly loud. It has a very high drone in the car, kind of like TD turndowns in front of the axle.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Restricted User

GET IT!
you'll love being able to adjust your exhaust from mild to obnoxious!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASkipper
I have an electric cutout in front of my Hooker catback. With the Cats on it was quiet now with my LT and ORY it is a little loud. Not near as loud as the LM. With the cutout open it is extremly loud. It has a very high drone in the car, kind of like TD turndowns in front of the axle.
I agree completely. I honestly think that with the cutout open it doesn't sound all that good except for the lopiness at idle with a cam. The only time I open the cutout is at the track or just sometimes at redlights to really hear the sound. The cutout open is extremely loud, and not a clean refined sound. Also it seems like many on this board believe in the louder is better concept, I don't agree with that idea. Whoever said that the Hooker is still quiet with LT's/ORY is either deaf or just plain dumb. Its far from quiet, yet not loud enough to get you in trouble.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

ive got a hooker catback and its nice because its not annoying, its only loud when you want it to be(when you get on it) but im looking into getting an electronic cutout too so i can make noise when i want to.