Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensors messed up please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock sensors messed up please help!

i have a 98 z, my check engine light came on and i notices it was throwing a knock sensor flag, at first i thought it was my cutouts being open but later that night i noticed that the motor was missing, turned out i had a misfire in the #4 cylinder. so i changed all plugs and wires and now the miss is gone but the check engine light wont go off is the knock sensor bad? and if it is will it foul the plugs out driving it like that? and should i change the sensor or do they make a dummy plug like they do for O2 sensors? please help
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebart455
i have a 98 z, my check engine light came on and i notices it was throwing a knock sensor flag, at first i thought it was my cutouts being open but later that night i noticed that the motor was missing, turned out i had a misfire in the #4 cylinder. so i changed all plugs and wires and now the miss is gone but the check engine light wont go off is the knock sensor bad? and if it is will it foul the plugs out driving it like that? and should i change the sensor or do they make a dummy plug like they do for O2 sensors? please help
you need to pull the intake manifold and change the sensor(s). Chances are it's all rusted up and needs replacing. No there are no "dummy" knock sensors, they are quite an integral part when it comes to your engine running correctly.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

so its probley not good running it with the sensors like that? where are they located exactly?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

underneath your intake manifold, there are 2 1 is in the front and 1 is towards the back
Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmmm so should i not drive it like that someone told me that it will flood my new plugs out because the cpu will retard the timing on the engine and foul the new plugs