Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad coil packs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad coil packs?

Hey guys ive been having a miss fire issue but it isnt constant the car will run good sometimes and other times it feels like it has a miss when I give it gas it will sputter and it feels like im not running on all cyl's. The check engine light came on and the code it threw says it can me numerous thing and bad coils are one of them. I replaced the plugs (TR6) and wires (Magnecore) and the problem is still there but like i said its not all the time. Has anybody had coils go bad? Or could the problem be fuel related maybe bad injectors? Any input would be great I just dont want to spen 600+ on aftermarket coils and come to find out thats not even my problem. Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Restricted User

if it starts sputtering unplug a coil one at a time til there's no change. That's probably the problem. Don't buy the MSD coils. I've heard story after story of them going bad and people going back to their stockers.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not common for the coils on these cars to go bad....not saying it cant happen, just not common. I would monitor the misfires on each cylinder. A lot of times you will have misses on just one bank (ie cylinders 1,3,5,7)...this usually points to an O2 sensor. If you have some spare O2 sensors, or if you still have the rears, swap the front for the rears and see if the problem goes away. Also if you have capabilites, perform a injector balance test...this may point at 1 or more faulty injectors. What were the codes...P0300? Any O2 codes?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

no 02 codes I cant seem to remember the code but i will change both 02's first then cause its the cheapest then move to the injectors does anybody know who can test them?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Default like this bad coils

2 years2 months old, leaked on the cat and stunk.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by billyb

2 years2 months old, leaked on the cat and stunk.
WOW....