Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Header Install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP Header Install HELP

Getting ready to install a set of QTP long-tubes but had a couple questions. Should I use the gaskets that came wit the headers or get some new GM ones? Another thing is i have the t-56 pulled because I am also going to install a new clutch and flywheel, would it be easier to install the headers first and still reinstall the tranny or will the headers be in the way? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Can't answer the second question, but most people re-use the stock gaskets/bolts for headers without a problem.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use stock gaskets, and it will be a lot easier if you install the headers with the tranny out, you shouldnt have any prob stabbing the tranny in after the headers are already in.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the very least, I would get a set of NEW GM gaskets for the headers and new bolts. Reusing gaskets or bolts is never a good idea. Since new bolts and gaskets are only $50, it's cheap insurance and protection against corrosion.

I went out and got the Stage 8 header bolts and the Percy's seal-4-good gaskets, so I spent around $70 for upgraded bolts and gaskets. For that $70, I have the best gaskets on the market that I'll never have to worry about leaking and nice bolts that will never corrode.

You can see the gaskets and bolts in that picture. The gaskets are multi-layer and are awesome. The bolts are as shiny as the new headers.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Tough Mudder

When the transmission is out, the motor will sit differently because it won't have the weight on it or the transmission mount holding it in place. When my transmission was out, the header collectors were touching the bottom of the car. This could make it difficult for the bolt holes to line up.

I guess if you run in to any problems installing the headers, wait until the transmission is back in. It's not like you're going to be driving it anyway with either uninstalled.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Tough Mudder

Oh, and you might as well do poly motor/transmission mounts while you're at it.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently bought a set of the GM MLS exhaust gaskets -
part number: 12617944 - They run about $25.00 for 2. Best gaskets out there! My old ones lasted for 10 years and four engine/head/exhaust changes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I haven't had a problem with the QTP gaskets my brother and I had on our cars. If you won't want to worry about it though, the GM ones should do ya' just fine
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

reuse your stock exhaust gaskets and bolts. They shouldn't be in bad shape if this is the first time they've come off and will seal extremely well to boot. The stock bolts are fine as well, corrosion should not be an issue with the stock bolts. Simply use anti seize on them.

also as long as your gaskets aren't shredded or wrecked up, they work FINE.

I reused my gaskets, and I'd reuse the bolts except that I got ARP studs instead. Hanging the headers on studs make life easier...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

I used new GM gaskets and reused the stock bolts with QTP headers. No problems!

Quick Reply: QTP Header Install HELP