Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help build my engine, time is here

Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help build my engine, time is here

Ok guys i have some money and iam looking to build a cheap engine. The car is a 2800lb notch mustang, street track car, it will be driven a good bit on the street. I'am looking for 400-450 rwhp.

I have a 1999 short block with 50,000 on it. Should i do anything else other then arp rod bolts before the build, iam going to pull the pistons and hone the cyl also. I should have around 2000 to spend right now amd i need to get the front ,rear covers and all that stuff

Heres a fast list of parts i was thinking but please add your thoughts since iam new

arp rod bolts
timming chain - not sure
heads - stock 5.3L heads dont know the #, will the stock rings hold the high compression from these heads, even if there milled
intake - ls6
cam - not sure, needs to clear stock pistons
oil pump - not sure
lifters - not sure
crank damper- stock maybe
valve springs

if i should change thing or go with another part please let me know , need to start getting the parts ready

thanks guys for any help
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone that could point me the right way with this engine that would be great

thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

ls2 timing chain.
when you say you want a cam to clear the stock pistons are you wantin the biggest cam you can get with clearance or what?

from what i have seen 706's out flow the stock heads. how much compression are you wantin to run stock ls1 is abt 10:1 ls6 are 10.25:1, what are you wanting to mill them too?

ported ls6 oil pumps are a good go

all the lifters are pretty good, a lot of people go with the ls7 or ctsv lifters so you may try those.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes the biggest i can go with out clearance problems. I was looking at a set of 706 heads that where milled around .030 i think. Pnmp gas is cool but iam fine if it needs to be a small mix.

thanks i didnt even think of those parts you listed

Search this Thread