Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do cats come apart?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How often do cats come apart?

I tried to search, but didn't really come up with anything. I want to know how often people have seen cats come apart, stock aftermarket or otherwise. If you have seen this, please let me know if they were stock or aftermarket or even what brands seem to be good and what to stay away from. I'm asking because I'll be installing an STS kit over the next few months and we've got pretty strict emissions requirements in New York. I'd like to remain compliant, but if it's too common for a cat to come apart, I'll gut 'em so I can pass visual and not frag the turbo. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had magnaflow cats 2.5", my driver side came apart inside because it was banging the floorboard. Since then i replaced the cat with the same one and put poly motor mounts in it and i havent had a single problem...thought id let you know
Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have MAC mids with their catted y right now and my passenger side cat came apart from bottoming out on it, so I feel your pain. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've seen one come apart when it's tail got caught in an auger.

Oh, you mean exhaust One of the carsound cats which came on my Grotyohann y-pipe fell apart internally after about 7 years. I believe the other one is still fine.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, Carsound huh? That's not too promising. They're one of the bigger names and I believe they produce them for a lot of the aftermaket companies as well. It's looking like I'll be going gutless, but keep 'em coming if you've got a story!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

One of the sections of my driver's side 2.5 Carsound went to pieces. Long story, but this cat overheated some months earlier due to an over-rich condition. Replaced it with a new one.

Thing is, when I pulled it, all the pieces had already blown out the tailpipe. Had I realized that, I would have just left it in.