Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Jet hot LTs this weekend.. any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Jet hot LTs this weekend.. any tips?

Will be putting my Jet hot LTs in this weekend. Does anyone have any tips they can offer me? At the same time I will be installing a cam and torque converter. The engine will be lowered to install the cam (since the tranny will be out as well). Will this make the header install easier or more difficult?

Please check out my other threads if you have any tips for installing a cam or torque converter. Thanks!

cam thread
torque converter thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Installing Jet hot LTs this weekend.. any tips?

Get a 10mm gear wrench!! your forarms will thank you. I think sears sells a cheaper brand than there own and it has a lifetime warrenty with it. Im going very soon to get me some. And a cheap set of open end wrenches that you can cut up or bend. I ground down an extra 10mm open end for the coilpack bolt that also holds on some of the air stuff. I made it a little bit smaller, so it could squeeze between the bracket and the bolt.
Good luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:48 AM
Restricted User

Travis, you can use a 10mm deep well (shorter one if that makes sense craftsman has a long and medium) 1/4" drive & ratchet for the coilpack bolts, I left my last bolts out from each valvecover. Not needed, and dont like the forearm rip from the plastic cowl.
Get a set of manifold gaskets from checkers, do not use the ones that come with the headers. I used stage 8 locking header bolts, and they fit nice, look nice and no leaking.
if reading your post is right that youll have the engine down to do it, its a breeae, but if not, then drop starter, tie it up to relieve the tension from wires, remove the fititng right above oil filter (10mm), i changed oil same time and removed oil filter, drained oil too. some have to grind on the drivers side K-member but i did not. after that its all tightening down bolts and stuff. Try to keep your gloves free of oil when handling the headers, adn wipe down before start up-just keeps em cleaner.
Have fun.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

Yup, I'll have the engine down... Why should I not use the gaskets that come with the headers??
Old 07-16-2003, 02:46 AM
Restricted User

They WILL leak. You may be able to reuse the stock gaskets if they dont separate, but the ones you buy at checkers or similar are good one (silver, perforated tin outsides).