Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Intake w/ H/C

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Intake w/ H/C

Hey Guys.

I know I am a search advocate,lol

But every combo is diffrent.

I am doing stock LS6 heads on my LS1 w/ a 23x/23x cam.

So I will be using the stock LS1 intake for now. About how much will it be choking the engine?

W/ those heads and a decent 230's cam. That will net me about what? 400ish to the wheels thru an A4? With a LS6 intake?

Also..ported vs. stock(ls6 heads)..About how much am I losing? 20ish to the wheels?

I am looking to run mid 11's on motor.... Also I know I will need bigger injectors,but I think 28's should be ok for now??
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump ftt
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

the intake alone is gonna hurt you for an easy 15hp with that cam

i doubt highly you'll make 400rwhp. with a stalled auto and an ls1 intake...look for more like 380rwhp.

ported ls6 heads could get you 20-50hp depending on the port job and compression.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are loosing a lot of power with that cam just on the stock heads right now . the 243 heads need at least the ls6 if not a aftermarket ported intake that will net you some big numbers .
243s ported vs unported all depends on who is doing it . maybe 10-30 just depending on who and how it is done . important to remember that you could have a head that flows 300 but if your intake only flows 240 like the stock ls1 then you will only pick up some power under the curve . a stock fast 90 flows around 270 ish and ported can flow more .
hope this helps you out bro
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, I am not goin to break 400rwhp w/ a cam stock 243's AND Ls6 intake?

How about an MS3 w/ stock LS6 heads and LS6 intake? Defintley gonna need injectors soon

I would love to get the heads ported,but don't have that extra $600 or so to get them done yet. I do plan on getting them ported by summer time.

My goal is mid 11's on motor....Well if I can cut a good 60' time
Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

At the time, my car had a small cam, stock heads, LT headers and a Random tech catback, through the M6 and 10 bolt. I dynoed it with the LS1 intake. While still on the rollers we switched the intake out for a LS6 within 30-40 minutes. We dynoed it again and picked up 35 hp.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your intake is gonna make or break you in this case sounds like. I am kinda confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Seems like you have a cam already and (for some reason are afraid to tell us the specs on it). But you said MS3 later in the thread. You must want a performer or a dyno queen. Cost is too high for most to have both. I would just wait and get a set of ported heads and an LS6 intake and a good mild cam that is gonna work with whatever stall you are gonna run.

But in a nutshell, LS1 intake is not what you want to get the most out of any combo. That is why people switch them first "out of the box" mod to the car. You don't need a big cam to run an 11 second pass either. So don't get hung up on wanting some monster duration. You will end up losing torque that is going to propel you to that 11 second show.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Your intake is gonna make or break you in this case sounds like. I am kinda confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Seems like you have a cam already and (for some reason are afraid to tell us the specs on it). But you said MS3 later in the thread. You must want a performer or a dyno queen. Cost is too high for most to have both. I would just wait and get a set of ported heads and an LS6 intake and a good mild cam that is gonna work with whatever stall you are gonna run.

But in a nutshell, LS1 intake is not what you want to get the most out of any combo. That is why people switch them first "out of the box" mod to the car. You don't need a big cam to run an 11 second pass either. So don't get hung up on wanting some monster duration. You will end up losing torque that is going to propel you to that 11 second show.

LOL...No secret cam here.

This is what I have so far:

I am tryin to kinda be on a budget. And the extra $350 for the LS6 intake wasn't in the budget at the moment.

I am tryin to put this engine together while it is out of the car. So I figured,hey while its out,I'll do a few things before I put it in the new car.

Goin to be using a 4k stall

I have a set of 03 Z06 heads, has a 3angle valve job done and a set of Manley Dual springs.(Found a great deal...only reason I bought them,plus it had springs)

I don't have a cam yet. I was goin to buy a used one (hence budget,lol) And all I can really find is smallish cams or big ones and some ms3's. So thats why I mentioned MS3. Maybe a 231/237?

I am basically building this engine "some" for now. It has 100k miles on it. So I just want to get this car running so I can finally have an F-body on the road. Then I figured the motor will last me a little while til I have enough saved for a bigger b etter unit

Granted, I could wait another month or a little more and buy the LS6 intake, but I need to get this car running. It is driving me crazy

PLus I figured I would wait a little bit and then put the ls6 intake on there then get it tuned. I eventually plan on throwing some juice at it too.

Its goin to be a street car, but I plan on goin to the track 1 or 2 times a month. It will be a somewhat DD,but not everyday use

Last edited by Pro52R; 03-05-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok,

How about this...I just throw the LS6 heads on,buy a LS6 intake and do a cam and injectors in a few months?

Search this Thread