Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car scared the bejesus out of me today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car scared the bejesus out of me today...

okay, so I start my car this morning - starts up just fine. I put it in reverse and start to go, and it starts to stumble, so I give it some gas, it keeps stumbling,then dies altogether. By this time I'm freakin out , I pop the hood and check things out. Last night I had tried to put on my FRC's - so I figured I might have screwed something up. Nothing loose, no connections apart, fuel lines ok.
Go to try starting the car again and it starts up. Runs a little rough so I give it some revs, it's still rough but it feels like it struggling against something, so I rev it once more and I hear a kind of pop from the exhaust. A couple more revs and it smooths right out. Drove it for a couple miles, and it drives great and I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems to rev a little more freely and the exhaust sounds smoother.
A couple hours later I drive it again and my SES light comes on I'm thinking I had a piece of the cat break off and have to be blown out the exhaust. It starts and runs fine, but the ses light stays on. What do you guys think? TIA
Old 07-20-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Car scared the bejesus out of me today...

Simple answer: get it scanned...
Old 07-20-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell us what u find.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'm gonna try to scan it tomorrow at work. We have a couple Tech2's (working with mechanics rules ) so I should have an answer. Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else or someone could verify what I thought for a little peace of mind. Guess it'll have to wait til tomorrow...*fingers crossed for O2 sensor code*
Old 07-21-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

*update*
Scanned the car today at work...turns out the code was a lean fuel trim code for the left bank Definetly not what I expected to find. Car's running fine though, guess I'll just keep an eye on it...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had this problem before. This code can be caused by unmetered air entering the engine. Mine was leaking on the connection from the bellow to the throttle body. I softened the bellows with some silicone spray and tightened the crap out of the band clamp and it was gone.