Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAPA sold me a bad coolant temp sensor :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NAPA sold me a bad coolant temp sensor :(

I broke the plastic housing on my coolant temp sensor when installing my headers, so I called around and NAPA could have one in stock that afternoon. I picked it up, installed it on the car, and it idled like **** then cut out after a minute. The car wouldnt restart, I put the stock one back in and presto the car fired right up and idled as it should. I did this one more time to make sure and the same results happened. Im pissed NAPA sold me a **** sensor, so Im returning it and going to my local GM dealership a few miles away for a genuine GM part. My car is a 98 with the 3 prong unit and I purchased a 3 prong sensor for my specific car.. or so they said. Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced something like this with an aftermarket coolent temp sensor?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

When it comes to my engine i rather fork up the cash and buy something from the dealer or from a sponsor ---->. Most of the people that work at these auto parts stores are total f*ck ups and have no clue what your asking for most of the time. Anything non-engine related i'll buy if they keep in stock, but when it comes to the LS1...HELL NO!
-Joel
Old 03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, my buddy has a 98 TA and has had problems with NAPA and Autozone parts. Oil Pressure Sender went out on his, and picked up one there and it sucked. Problem is, at our local GM dealer, it would take 3 or 4 days to get 98 parts in stock. I always buy GM, either from Parts Direct or SDPC for my car.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Just got a call about an hour ago that my GM dealership got the part in, so I picked it up, put the coolant sensor in and presto the car works as it should. Screw NAPA, I should have listened to myself and stuck with genuine GM parts as I always have in the past. BTW.. the GM part was only $3 more, money WELL SPENT!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

The guys at my NAPA are awsome. San diego on Convoy
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even dealerships get bad parts, **** happens, dont take it too serious
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...former AutoZone employee here and I even sold myself bad parts before. Porblem is alot of parts sit for up to five years abd then are sold. Nothing the guys at the counter can do to change it but either replace it or give you a refund. Shi* happens.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Even dealerships get bad parts, **** happens, dont take it too serious