Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell is this noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What the hell is this noise!!!

Ok... First gotta make sure my car is normal. When I start the car, I can hear a faint whine. It turns off after a couple minutes. When I come to a stop I can hear it also, then it turns off after a couple of seconds. I'm thinking it's the AIR pump. But that's not the bad noise.

Lately, when this whine comes on, it's not the same sound, I can't describe it at all except it's very audible from at least 10 feet away and inside the car. The odd noise accompanies the whine, I think it's just the the whine noise gone bad. The odd noise does not come on all the time, almost randomly. Sometimes I hear the whine, then the odd noise, then back to the whine, or just the odd noise the entire time.

...........so, anyone else ever heard of this? Anything I can check? Is the whine the AIR pump anyways? BTW, the car has 43k miles, and I'm trying to solve one problem at a time. Removing the AIR system is not an option. Thanks a lot!!!

Old 07-23-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What the hell is this noise!!!

Unplug the AIR pump temporarily. Listen for sound. This should help narrow it down

Dope
Old 07-23-2003, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same sound. It was a check valve that was only 4 months old. Odly enough it did not throw a code. If you don't have a mechanics stethescope. You can use a length of hose to listen to the check valves, AIR pump, and idler pulley. Just be careful around the moving belt or you'll be LS1 Lunch.

If that doesn't work spray a mixture of soapy water on the inside of the belts. Or wipe them down with the soapy water. Obviously when the engine is off. They may have some trash on them. My a/c belt glazed over when the car as just a year old and made a sound similar to a cricket. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unplug the AIR pump temporarily. Listen for sound. This should help narrow it down
Where is the AIR pump and how do you unplug it?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Had something similar it was the idler pulley going bad.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Had something similar it was the idler pulley going bad.
Ok... But the sound only happens when the whine happens. So it must be realted to whatever is supposed to make the whining noise, which I think is the AIR pump, but I guess no one knows.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT
Old 08-03-2003, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

follow the black tube out of your air lid. If I remember correctly, the AIR pump is located under some stuff towards the front, drivers side of the engine bay. Now how to unplug it exactly I'm not sure of.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

follow the black tube out of your air lid. If I remember correctly, the AIR pump is located under some stuff towards the front, drivers side of the engine bay. Now how to unplug it exactly I'm not sure of.
Mine doesn't have that black tube, it's a 99. Anyone else have any ideas? Is it that black tube that runs on top of the inner fender on the driver side?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Where's the noise coming from? My stock fuel pump used to whine like that. The AIR pump is right behind the driver's side fog light. You can get to it from underneith.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine doesn't have that black tube, it's a 99. Anyone else have any ideas? Is it that black tube that runs on top of the inner fender on the driver side?
Sorry, I saw the 02 in your name and just assumed. If you're talkin about the same tube I'm thinkin of, it is. Follow that tube forward from the fender and you should run right into it.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

if you want to unplug the air pump simply pull the fuse/relay. look in your owners manual, it should tell you. you will set a SES light since it won't be working but at least you can hear if that is the whine or not