Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest way to 400fwhp NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapest way to 400fwhp NA

What are the best bolt ons to reach 400hp? Lid, UD Pulleys, FTRA etc? Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: cheapest way to 400fwhp NA

Cam and headers IMO.

Ryan
Old 07-26-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your new.

Id head on over to the newcomers forum (its on top) and read up a little bit.

Bolt-ons, the most common ones anyhow, dont really add any power, they just free it up because of restrictions.

Examples:

Getting rid of your catalitic converters and muffler yeilds high gains, because it was restricted to reduce noise and pollution. It didnt really add anything, just let what was allready there show through. (Which you probably allready knew.)

I dont really thing that normal "bolt-ons" (cams, heads, and headers dont count, it takes a little more than a bolt to hold them on) can free up 400hp, because I dont *think* the LS1 (block, pistons, heads) can make 400hp.

And, you did say rear-wheel (allthough you did put FWhp), so depending on your transmission, driveshaft, and rear-end, you may have to be pushing 425-475hp on the motor, to achieve 400 at the wheels.

My advice: Start skimming the forum. Start with the newbies forum, there is a lot of info there to start out with. Then start checking out this (external engine) forum's history (by clicking the page buttons at the bottom), and just start reading!

Now, I would get a Lid, a SSRA, or a FTRA (either/or) and get a y-pipe to get rid of the cats. Maybe a good catback (borla?), and some of the free mods done, then go for the power-adders!

You'll be in the internal engine forum in no time!

Welcome!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont really thing that normal "bolt-ons" (cams, heads, and headers dont count, it takes a little more than a bolt to hold them on) can free up 400hp, because I dont *think* the LS1 (block, pistons, heads) can make 400hp.
Not what I meant, I mean that, in its stock form, I dont thing it can put out 400hp with completely free-flowing intake/exaust. Damn, I always sound like I dont know what the hell Im talking about, when I actually just cant type!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well first it depends on if you want 400fwhp , fly wheel horse power, or 400rwhp , rear wheel horse power.
400fwhp can be achieved with all the bolt-ons and no internal mods on an LS1, which would translate into about 350rwhp. To get 400rwhp your going to need at least a cam, and to be really streetable it's going to take heads and cam.
If you go the 400fwhp route you'd probably need, ram air, lid, bellows, ported throttle body, long tube headers, cat-back and underdrive pulley.
400+rwhp would require most of the mods above and almost any head and cam package.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

screw bellows, for the most part they are overpriced crap...so i have been told. People have ran incredibly fast without the smooth bellows. There are better places to put money to begin with. If you have your heart set on them, make your own.