Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe Question Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-Pipe Question Install

I just seen that Speed Inc. has free shipping on all of their SLP products. This is a good opurtunity for me to get a Y pipe. I already have a Hooker catback installed. My question's are:
1) will this Y pipe be an easy install and bolt "right up" as the description say ?
2) will this set up hurt me or help as far as RWHP is involved ? ( I have done nothing to the TB or MAF)
3) what will I notice (if any) in throttle response, lower or upper end ?
4) will it make the exhaust louder ? I like it the way it is as my wife drives the car sometimes and she does not like it loud. she says it's "okay" now so I know I am border line on the loudness.
I need your expert advice on this ASAP to save me cash in shipping if I decide to get it.
TIA.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Y-Pipe Question Install

i just did the slp pipe on my car and i have a flowmaster, i cant tell anything power wise, yes it bolts up real easy i take mine on and off a lot but the hardest is getting it in the collector but the pipe is cut so u can open it more, just keep a full can of WD40. i noticed mine was deeper especially at 3000 rpm, and others noticed too. i have heard 5-7 rwhp gain from this. but its not gonna make it louder, just deeper any other questions just ask in a post or pm
Old 07-27-2003, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Hooker c-back& G2 y-pipe which is 2.75 inch instead of 2.5. Installation was direct bolt in. Only my trans cross member neede som mod (heating and flattening) for clearance. (Easy).
With the SLP 2.5 u should have no problem.
Performance is increased since the stock y-pipe is flattened on driver side (noticeable improvement). I love my set up and its street and smog leagal. slight improvement in gas mileage also untill I got 3:73.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only my trans cross member neede som mod (heating and flattening) for clearance. (Easy).
Instead of going to all that trouble just use three or four flat washers per bolt, when we installed the SLP y-pipe on a friends SS we just got longer bolts ( 8mm fine thread I believe ) and used the flat washers.

Al

P.S. I just noticed you said "trans cross member", did you mean tunnel brace?