Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question

I have a 2000 firehawk, and i just recently put a pair of JBA shorty headers in place of the stock exhaust manifolds. I have read the threads on AIR and EGR removal, and followed them. when i put it all back together a few days ago it would not start at all, the engine does not even turn over. I haven't had it retuned yet because it wont even start. I checked everything, (spark plugs, starter, battery) and im vexed as to why it wont even fire. I was under the impression before i had the codes deleted it would just run like crap, but it wont even start. I dont have a means of tuning it myself, and im not real knowledgeable on the diagnostic codes and tuning these cars. If someone can give me an idea of why its doing this, i would be deeply thankful, i am leaving for the military next month and i gotta get this thing moving. I appreciate your time.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

post exactly what you did so we can get an idea of what's going on.when you say it is not firing, does it crank over and not start or nothing happens when you turn the key?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Sorry i was in a hurry. Yeah it doesnt do anything when i turn the key. and when i turn it back to 'off' the gauges jump and go back down. if i have the door open when i do it, the anti-theft little red light flashes and clicks rapidly.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

what exactly did you do when you deleted air and egr?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 PM

well i started by disconnecting the battery, then i took the air dam, and bottom covers off, unbolted, and unplugged the AIR pump. Then proceeded to take off the hoses that run to the manifolds. After that, i unbolted the EGR bracket, removed the tubing that connects to the intake manifold and the exhaust, took that out. Then i unplugged my coils from my spark plugs on the passenger side, took the coils off to make room to get the manifold out. I took out the manifold on the passenger side, after i had taken out all the O2 sensors. The i took off the coil plugs from the driver side, then the plugs themselves, then the manifold. then i put the driver side header on, with new gaskets, then i put the passenger side header on. i put all the O2 sensors back, put the coils back on the one side, reconnected my wires to all my spark plugs, and blocked off all the holes in the headers where the EGR and AIR would have been and then i put a freeze plug in the intake manifold. This was over a period of about 3 weeks because i had to reorder headers. I charged the battery thinking it was just dead, but its fully charged and it doesnt do anything still. i looked and made sure all my wires were reconnected, like to the coils themselves, and from them to the plugs. The wires that were connected to the AIR and EGR are still on the car, and i just taped them up and made sure they were out of the way. Other than that i did not mess with anything else.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Teching In

seems like you couldn't of damaged anything.going back to the security light clicking and flashing. do you have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM

No its the stock anti theft system they put in.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Teching In

do your key fobs work? lock and unlock the doors? arm and disarm the alarm?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 PM

they dont work.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sounds like a battery issue to me. Have you tried to jump start it yet?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

it could be your alarm is armed and preventing you from starting your car. also, lots of times your ignition key can get damaged and the pcm will not recognize the key. the same thing happens to the ignition lock and cylinder. if you have a spare ignition key try it. check to see that you tighten the battery cables correctly.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM

i haven't tried jump starting it, but i double checked the battery, i charged it twice, and used my meter to check it out, and it was good. im starting to suspect the anti theft system, because when i switch it to on mode, it turns everything off, even my dome lights, and the security light flashes and clicks. i switched it to accessory mode and the radio didnt even turn on.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 PM

i think your right, it seems like it might be armed, im also discussing it with my dad and he says the same thing. i tired my spare key and it didnt work either.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM

i dont know how it got armed though, i made sure it was off before i did a single thing. Is there something im missing?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Teching In

sometimes when you leave the battery disconnected for a long period of time, it causes the modules to lose memory and reset when you re connect the battery.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Teching In

try leaving the key in the run position and disconnect the battery then connect it back up.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM

ok i tried that, didnt work, but before i could disconnect the battery, the parking lights came on, like it was working normal, then i tired to start it and it shut all of again. also, when i put it on 'on' mode i hear a buzzing sound coming from my driver side fuse box, the one with horn, and the fan relays. and when i shut it off there was a knocking noise from somewhere in the engine bay, so i disconnected it.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Teching In

i dont think the ignition relay controls power to the radio and everything else you mentioned but swap one of the fan relays with the ignition relay.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

my car was doing the same thing the other day, excpet just not after an install.

Sat there for 15 minutes trying to get it to start checking everything i could think of, they I pressed the unlock button on the key and bam it suddenly worked. The Unlock on the door did nothing, but the one on the key did the trick or some reason.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a remote for the alarm and unlock it that way. you can program the remote your self i will give you the web page. just buy the remote at the dealer.