Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker VS. Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in west warwick, RI. DD no matter what time of year, Hooker CB! i love it and get nothing but compliments, Hooker LT, ORY, and Hooker CB. i love it
Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the Hooker still have a nice sound with headers and catted y, instead of ORY? Anyone have that kind of setup?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the hooker aerochambers, nice and somewhat quiet when idleing or cruising, but when you jump on it they scream and flow like crazy. Best of both wrolds in one muffler in my opinion.

Unless you need an all out extreme flow muffler to just say you have a muffler when its really doing almost nothing, the aero-chamebrs cant be beat as far as sound or performance.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Does the Hooker still have a nice sound with headers and catted y, instead of ORY? Anyone have that kind of setup?
I installed a Hooker c/b last wednesday. With the AR ory, the sound is amazing. I hate rasp, and coming from Magnamouth & Borlamouth setups, I can tell you for certain that there is zero rasp. It sounds stockish at idle and screams at WOT. There is also no drone sound while cruising between 60-80.

IMO if you plan on adding cats put down a little more cash & get a Magnaflow catback, but ORY + Hooker c/b = Pure sex!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kikaofazz
I installed a Hooker c/b last wednesday. With the AR ory, the sound is amazing. I hate rasp, and coming from Magnamouth & Borlamouth setups, I can tell you for certain that there is zero rasp. It sounds stockish at idle and screams at WOT. There is also no drone sound while cruising between 60-80.

IMO if you plan on adding cats put down a little more cash & get a Magnaflow catback, but ORY + Hooker c/b = Pure sex!
Thanks. I am in NJ so I don't know if I would pass inspection with ORY which is the reason I was asking.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Thanks. I am in NJ so I don't know if I would pass inspection with ORY which is the reason I was asking.
If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Magnaflow w/ cats. Especially if you have to pass inspection (None here in AR). The sound is still gonna be awesome. The stainless steel is just another added benefit, plus it will always clean up really nice.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

the hooker cb definitely sounds alot meaner. i just didnt like the quality compared to magnaflows. but maybe if i get bored with magnaflow i might look into switching for the hooker.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Launching!

I think the magnaflow kind of sounds like a truck. The hooker gets that kind of chambered muscle car sound but it still flows great and is reasonably quiet

Get yourself a hooker!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
it just hard to turn down a 'hooker' that moans that good
FUNNY GUY............
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive heard hooker cb w/ cats it sounded really good just too quiet for me.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
ive heard hooker cb w/ cats it sounded really good just too quiet for me.
Was it cammed??
Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Hooker rocks!

I just switched from a LM1 cat back with a sprial flow stuffed in front of the res. PS headers and ORY no cats. It was so damn loud on the highway with the Z06 cam and 4 56.

It was recommended me to switch to the Hooker after discussing my requirements about power and sound quality/volume. The Hooker rules! It is loud when I want it to be. A tad loud on the highway. Quiet around town.

AL'ed steel will last awhile in a Southern climate. Surely 10 years with no problem. For you northern guys, I completely understand about wanting stainless steel.

As for power loss of the LM1 system I can't say much. My WOT AFR hasn't changed below 3K. I haven't looked into past 3K yet.

I will have to say that the Hooker system I took delivery of didn't have the fit that my SLP LM had. But, it was all very easily resolved. Just a hanger that wasn't bent right and a couple of trimming jobs.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker will have a deeper, more refined, and less raspy tone than the Magnaflow (with LT's / ORY).

Go get yourself a Hooker.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

I've got a Hooker catback with Pacesetter LT's and ORY and stock internals. I wouldn't trade the sound for anything. I get a lot of compliments. A nice deep rumble at idle and cruising and at WOT it screams. Can't wait to hear it with the 228R that's going in next month!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kikaofazz
If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Magnaflow w/ cats. Especially if you have to pass inspection (None here in AR). The sound is still gonna be awesome. The stainless steel is just another added benefit, plus it will always clean up really nice.
+1
You can polish that exhaust to a mirror shine. I think it sounds great too, no rasp with my setup.

Quick Reply: Hooker VS. Magnaflow