Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

OK, so I bought my 2002 Camaro SS LE a couple weeks ago and one of the modifications (really the only one) the previous owner did to the car was to bypass the throttle body's coolant line. He said that it is supposed to increase horsepower. Does this actually work? Also, do you compromise fuel efficiency at the same time?

Basically, should I leave it like this or put it back?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about any gains, it's doubtful. It wont hurt anything, but it is there to warm up the throttle body in cold weather so it wont get stuck.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you live in a cold climate area id put it back together. but if not it doesnt really do anything to leave it bypassed. seriously doubt any hp gains are found
Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the purpose is to avoid heating up the air coming into the intake. I don't know about noticeable gains, but like someone already said "If you like in extremely cold weather, put it back together"
Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

From what I have read the coolant line to the throttle body is used to warm the incoming air to help the car get up to temp quicker in very cold climates and to go into closed loop sooner. I bypassed it on my new BBK throttle body and I have noticed the throttle body stays way cooler. If you live where it gets really cold put it back but I have no need for it here in Texas.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
From what I have read the coolant line to the throttle body is used to warm the incoming air to help the car get up to temp quicker in very cold climates and to go into closed loop sooner. I bypassed it on my new BBK throttle body and I have noticed the throttle body stays way cooler. If you live where it gets really cold put it back but I have no need for it here in Texas.
Same here. Not needed in Phoenix

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Coolant Bypass