Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP headers

I have had them on my car for about 5 months and installed them myself but I thought I should tell anyone who is looking into them to stop they suck I have my own shop and am a decent mechanic but if you try to put them in through the bottem them engin must be tilted over to get them in and going through the top is hard unless you take the heads off if anyone has a simpler way please post it
Old 08-02-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: SLP headers

You have your own shop in West Palm, do you do any tuning. Anyway, I heard about how much of a pain the SLP headers are, so I'm picking up my MAC headers and Y-pipe today.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

I installed my SLP's headers at home in the garage on ramps and jackstands. Now thats hard LOL. Took some prying and banging but those pretty suckers went in. I'm a happy camper..the fit and finish is great. No problems here. Just because they were hard to install means they suck...makes sense....
Old 08-03-2003, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Monster. It took me and a freind 18 hrs to put those babies in (first header install), but it was worth it. I couldn't be happier with the performance or fit.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:00 AM
BDD
On The Tree

Yea I took 12hrs yesterday just getting the headers in at my dad's shop. Now I just have to get the y-pipe in today.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Supposedly QTEC are easier..can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard any header besides SLP's are "easier" to install. But what's a header install with out the blood, sweat and cussing?!! But yea back to the question, yes QT says their LT's are the easiest to install and so I've heard.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't spend so much time and trouble installing headers that aren't going to perform well.(SLPs)
Old 08-04-2003, 10:05 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't spend so much time and trouble installing headers that aren't going to perform well.(SLPs)
They perform well, just not as well as others. :p
Old 08-04-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

anyone dynoed with the SLPs then swapped a dynoed with anorher brand back to back?? Untill I see some of those numbers I think all this crap about headers performing better are BS. Im very happy with mine and seriously doubt I would make more HP with another brand. Yeah LT's are cheaper now, but its not worth the cost and time to swap for what?? 5hp if that??

ive seen friggin FLP's rusted to hell while yet my SLP's look like the day they came outta the box and I got 1 of the first 10 shipped when they came out!

If you have SLP's keep them, if you are looking at LT headers then try the jet hots or hookers. Just cause they are cheaper
Old 08-04-2003, 11:54 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone dynoed with the SLPs then swapped a dynoed with anorher brand back to back?? Untill I see some of those numbers I think all this crap about headers performing better are BS. Im very happy with mine and seriously doubt I would make more HP with another brand. Yeah LT's are cheaper now, but its not worth the cost and time to swap for what?? 5hp if that??

ive seen friggin FLP's rusted to hell while yet my SLP's look like the day they came outta the box and I got 1 of the first 10 shipped when they came out!

If you have SLP's keep them, if you are looking at LT headers then try the jet hots or hookers. Just cause they are cheaper

Old 08-04-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Kooks vs SLPs
Not to say that the SLPs suck, which I don't think they do, this is just a comparo. Note: Gains on a mildly modified motor won't be as significant.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

I use mostly SLP`s in my shop and don`t have any issues installing them. And as far as fit and finish they are the best I have seen. We picked up almost 30rwhp on a bone stock WS6 I think that is up there with the best and yes you are going to gain with a stepped header or a high HP car.

Nate
Old 08-04-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I had SLP's and I did like them, I switched to hookers and I like the design of them better however the finish of the SLP's was awesome i.e no rust. They also make a decent Y pipe and my car had no rasp with the hooker exahaust. Now with my Hookers and hooker y pipe I have rasp from hell and am pretty much forced into true duals to get rid of it. I can say from experience that the SLP's are much harder to install than the hookers. Hell it was harder to get the SLP's out than it was to put the hookers in.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SLP LTs and I have absolutely no complaints about them. Yeah, it was a little tricky to install them, but I did them in a day with the car on jackstands...just make sure you have a friend to help. I can say it was a hell of a lot easier than installing headers on the LT1 97 Z28 I had. SLP parts of any type just seem to get an automatic bad rap around here.