Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomouth or Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomouth or Muffler

I have stock exhaust manifolds, and will for a while (no headers). I do not want to run cut-outs, but I do want to change the sound of my exhaust (a little louder). I have a 2002 WS6, and was going to buy a replacment Dynomax (or something equivanlent) muffler in to stock locatation. But looking around this board, I found the Dynomouth. I understand what it is (bullet mufffler in the I-pipe) and now am considering it, but does anybody know what difference would be between the two? Yes, I will be keeping my cats. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Default Re: Dynomouth or Muffler

I strongly recommend the dynomouth. I got the original 12" bullet and it sounds awesome! It's quiet at idle, loud at acceleration and screams at WOT. I have had no trouble with drone or rasp since I too kept the cats.

The advantage of the bullet over say a hooker muffler or flowemaster is that it is less restrictive. It flows 2200 cmf and I think stock was around 300 cmf, flowmaster was around 400 cmf, hooker was around 800 cmf. Some of the expensive ones like corsca & borla were 1100-1500 cmf if I remember right. SLP LM is the only one that flows as well as the bullet race muffler at the same 2200 cmf. These were all numbers I got from researching this when I did it. The numbers may not be 100% accurate but should be close from what I can remember.

So the bottom line is it will give you a much better sound and the best HP gains possible without a cutout and headers. The 18" bullet will be a tad quieter but the 12" puts a big smile on my face when I gun it

Cost for me was not too bad. I paid $40 for the muffler, $85 for some new stainless steel tips (not needed but I wanted a different look) and $100 for parts and labor at a local muffler shop. Total for me with optional tips was $250 with shipping fees included. Not bad for what I gained and cheaper then any non-used cat back.

I say go for dynomouth. You won't be disappointed!

Old 08-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I just ran up to a custom muffler shop, and qot quoted $100 to install the muffler, and make a split (y-pipe after axle. Not bad. I am going to try and get this done in the next week or two.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Teching In

No problem. Summit sells the dynomax bullet muffler for $36.00 I believe. The tips I got were the classis stainless steel dual/dual from fasttoys.net and were a bargain at $85. You can always reuse the stock tips if you like the looks of them. Good luck and I hope you love the sound as much as I do.

Quick Reply: Dynomouth or Muffler