Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankcase vacuum

Old 08-06-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase vacuum

I noticed something with my car that I don't think is quite normal. If i cover the oil fill hole for a few seconds with my hand while the car is running, I can feel a noticeable suction when I pull my hand away. I checked another LS1 at idle and it doesn't do this.

Now, one thing to point out is I run a Metco breather, and therefore I have the fresh air tube from the TB to the valve cover capped off. Could this be the reason for it or does it sound like another issue? FWIW, I have had oil consumption problems for a while.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: crankcase vacuum

yep thats why, you have moved the air souce from the tb to the hole that you are covering up with your hand, but not directly causing oil consumption.. definitely not at wide open anyway.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

The Metco breather must be more restrictive than the factory breather hose. Did you notice less oil consumption after switching to the Metco?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Metco breather must be more restrictive than the factory breather hose. Did you notice less oil consumption after switching to the Metco?
Not really. I also run a catch can, and although it does catch some oil, i still get some through the output tube and into the intake oh well

Search this Thread