Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Wire Fans

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Wire Fans

I am throwing all the fan codes...p0430 and all those. I dont remember which ones specifically, but it is the three pesky fan relays. My fans will not come on at all ever. Any time I put a fuse in the fuse block (40A) it blows immediately, so I have a short somewhere. And I figure there might be a possibility that my fan motors are done also. How can I test the fans? And say I wanted to wire a manual switch to the fans, would I just run a hot wire from the battery to the switch to the fan? Then ground the fan off on the frame? Im assuming the two connectors on the fan sensor recepticle are + and - terminals?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the underhood fuse box up so you can see the underside of it. Locate the fan relays. Find the wire, (i think its purple) that is used to engage the relay. Do not use a live + wire as the computer sends a ground signal to engage the relay. For a switch within the car, all you need to do is find a proper ground and use a switch. haha Im not that good with write-ups, so sorry if this is hard to understand! Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

What do I do with the purple wire...can you clear that up please? What I am trying to get at though, is can I cut the harness before the sensor that plugs up to the fans, and wire them straight up to a switch to be able to turn them on and off as I please?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purple wire is the one that the computer will ground in order to engage the relay and turn on the fan. It is a physical possibility to hotwire the fans, i highly recommend not doing it. unless, you get a switch that is capable of withstanding the amount of amperage the fans will draw, you have a good chance of melting the **** out of an incorrect switch and starting an underdash campfire. I'll try taking some pics of my wirejob on my fan switch tonight.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

If you wouldnt mind, I would be forever grateful

Search this Thread