Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spiral Flows, Sweet Thunders, Bullets in Y-pipe instead of cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spiral Flows, Sweet Thunders, Bullets in Y-pipe instead of cats?

Since the H/C/I install, the rasp is worse. Now its from about 2200-2800 rpms. I already have a magnaflow bullet in the I-pipe with the GMMG at the rear. Local muffler shops (I tried 2 different shops) won't fab me a 2.5" true dual over the axle setup...I took pics with me and they still think it can't be done. I wanted to run the duals over the axle and tie into the GMMG where it splits. That way I can keep the GMMG sound and keep my tips as they are.

But, since this seems to be out, instead of cats, has anyone put bullets or spiral flows in the y-pipe? We measured it and the exhaust shop said he could fit a 3" i.d/o.d bullet type muffler in that space on each side of the y-pipe where my rear O2's are. Since they are tuned out anyway, will there be any issues with this? I thought about replacing the magnaflow bullet in the I-pipe with 1 spiral flow; however, I'm thinking a spiral flow on each side of the y-pipe will flow better than one in the I-pipe. Suggestions?? Thoughts??

thx
Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to hush mine up too. I was looking into these...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't have much space to work inpacesetters/tsp dual/short bullets/dumped before the axle. Sets off car alarms on startup in an open air parking lot.

*Edit*After more research, I think I'll try some 24" sweet thunders...

Last edited by slowec; 05-23-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got your PM. I think that a spiral right there on either side will really tame it down. It annihilated any bit of rasp that I could still hear with the windows down just cruising or WOT. Mine are towards the rear of the car though, but that shouldn't matter too much I wouldn't think. You will mainly be hearing the last restriction on the exhaust...the GMMG. It should really calm it down. I have a feeling that running these in place of cats may actually be quieter than a cat itself. You can only see through these right down the center with the diameter of about a US Mint quarter. Mine are Flo-Pro Twisters, and that is what they look like. I assume that the Moroso's are no different. It would be like drilling down the center of a drill bit if you want an idea of what the pattern is comprised of. Mine have shut down most of the valve overlap from my 244/248, so I bet it will stealth your Torquer quite a bit. Hope this helps.