Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI when installing Pacesetters...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FYI when installing Pacesetters...

Some people are having a probelem installing them, I just did mine last night, it was my 3rd header swap so far on this car. A few things I would like to point out
1) if you get the car high enough, the passenger side should go in without removing anything on the car (like starter or whatever)
2) when installing the driver side, mine would not go in because the very end of the flange on the #7 cyl was touching the inside of the tunnel, and catching on the square piece of the block sticking out. It was either grind off the part of the block, or shave about 1/4 inch off the very end of the flange. I used an electric saw and just cut a bit off the end of the flange, whalla, it goes in there and fits on the car nicely.

Just thought I would share that with some of you and save you a headache or two.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Re: FYI when installing Pacesetters...

Man that is good to hear.
I have read a few horror stories on the "other" sight of fitment issues & some other problems with these headers. Mine should be here any day now.
In terms of sound,perf, are you pleased? Quality? Man i hear some of these other guys... it's good to here something positive.
Some of the other prob's mentioned was having to "re" fab the air/egr tubes.
I know for a fact that they ORY i recieved was not flanged @ one end. thanks for your .02!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I ordered one of their "race" headers with no emissions. I am very happy with what I got for what i paid for. The welds in the collectors are actually pretty decent, and so forth on the primarys where they meet the flange. There was really no left over material on the inside of the primarys to grind away like on other headers. Like i said i am happy with mine. I saved over 400 buy getting the pacesetters over the QTPs and now im using the money for something else.

I am getting a custom Y pipe. I personally think the $120 one is a great value to people on a budget to complete a header package, but I think its a piece of crap. It has a crimp in it and merges the exhaust in a way i dont like. I will be doing a custom Y with a flowmaster of magnaflow y collector for around $200 and guaranteed to fit better and make more power!

Old 08-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Good to hear. I'll be doing mine in a week or so, as soon as they send my replacement headers up to me (they sent me the wrong ones). I also just got my y-pipe modified today because the one they sent me didn't fit, but the exhaust shop did it for free - which was nice.

I've had a bad experience with them sending me the right parts, but considering the price, I can't complain too much.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry I ordered one of their "race" headers with no emissions. I am very happy with what I got for what i paid for. The welds in the collectors are actually pretty decent, and so forth on the primarys where they meet the flange. There was really no left over material on the inside of the primarys to grind away like on other headers. Like i said i am happy with mine. I saved over 400 buy getting the pacesetters over the QTPs and now im using the money for something else.

Thanks for the clarification!! I feel much better....