Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter issues??

I believe my starter is going out...I noticed a bunch of GM starters on E-bay, will any starter work on our cars as long as it is for a 168 tooth flywheel?

Last winter in the mornings when I went out to start the car I noticed that when I turned the key nothing would happen. I would hold the key there for about 5 seconds then I could hear the starter click, and then the car would turn right over with no problem. I figure that means the starter is going out, and I better fix it before winter gets here again. I got under the car and all the connections look fine so I don't know what else it could be.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Starter issues??

ttt
Old 08-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Starter issues??

Unless they are specially for an LS1, I believe no.

The mounting is slighly different than a regular SB unit (the starter mounting surface where it bolts to the engine slopes down on both sides from the edge, ending in a slight indentation in the middle compared to being flat on a std SB).

My starter got very noisey, so I ended up with a Powermaster unit, which was a different part number than regular SB offerings.

hth