Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers: Narrowed it down to 2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers: Narrowed it down to 2.

Ive searched info/pricing and have decided to either go with hooker super comps or qtp. Price wise the stainless hookers look really good ($575) but for some reason I cannot seem to find a matching ory pipe. I have found qtp's for $700, but have read that I should either go with a tsp ory or a custom one. If I went the qtp/tsp route I would have $835 in that setup. Anyone know roughly how much an exhaust shop would charge to make a cutom ory pipe??? Should I just spend the extra money on qtp to make the install a little easier, or are hooker super comps not too far behind install wise ??? Any info on a ory for hooker super comps would be great too. thanks fellas.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

its a tough choice isn't it lol
Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QTP's have a better design/better collectors. I'd be willing to bet they'd outperform. As for the y-pipe, get a custom one made. Custom y-pipes are almost always better than pre-fab units. Any exhaust shop can easily make an ORY for these cars, assuming you can find a shop that'll touch the car without putting cats on it.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

the hookers go in easy also
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

hmmm.......I just cant decide. If i buy qtp's I will be almost broke lol. So an exhaust shope wont make a y pipe for you if theres no cats ???
Old 06-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Resident

Plenty of exhaust shops will make you a y-pipe without cats. It just may take you awhile to find one if you live in an emissions state. It wouldn't hurt if you know someone that knows the owner, though. That way, the owner knows you're not an undercover emissions guy.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it would be a strain on your wallet I would just go the Hooker route. I have talked ot a few people who really like the hooker headers on LS1s. QTPs do have a nice collector design but I dont think it would make that much more hp to have to spend every penny you have to get em.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

A custom Y is a good way to go if you can find someone that will do a good job and willing to do it without cats. Most places around here will not touch a car without cats on it.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
A custom Y is a good way to go if you can find someone that will do a good job and willing to do it without cats. Most places around here will not touch a car without cats on it.
any idea what one might cost?? Qtp + custom y might be the same price as hooker super comp with matching ory.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

What about those new LPP headers? The sponser on here has a bunch of pictures of how they put that velocity spike in the collector and also the merge in the Y pipe looks MUCH improved compared to their previous design. If I could do it again, I would choose them. Good price, and stainless too.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
What about those new LPP headers? The sponser on here has a bunch of pictures of how they put that velocity spike in the collector and also the merge in the Y pipe looks MUCH improved compared to their previous design. If I could do it again, I would choose them. Good price, and stainless too.
originally I was going to go that route, but the release date got pushed back almost two months i believe. I think they are expected to come out at the end of july or beginning of august if my math is correct. And thats if they dont get pushed back again. I would also probably want to wait a little longer to hear some of the customer reviews too.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'd stay with the Hookers instead of the LPPs. Honestly, I haven't had any dealings with either, but I've had two sets of QTPs. If I could do it over again a second time, I'd do it again with the QTPs, but just a little differently (I won't go into a long explaination.)

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hookers as I haven't read or heard of collector leaks. I've experienced them with two sets of QTPs. I actually performed non-scientific tests to confirm the leaks, so I know they're there. My bottom line, regarding the QTPs, are that it took a tube of exhaust manifold repair to pack into the back of the collector spikes in order to get rid of the leaks (and I'm still not sure that this will last that long) and I can tell you that before, there was header ticking out the waazoo; now, they are as quiet as with manifolds. You can't even tell the car has headers until you start to give the engine a little gas.

IMHO, if you don't want to fuss with much, go with the Hookers. They have a Y-pipe (as far as I can remember.) Maybe you'll give up a little power to the QTPs, but HVMC collectors should be tuned for maximum power anyways for a particular engine (from what I've researched) so it's not like they are optimal for every car. I think header fitment will be about the same and the Hooker Y-pipe should tuck a little better. I modified my QTP Y-pipe and love it, but again, it took a little fussing. So... if you like to tinker, go QTP, but if you don't, go Hooker
Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

If you are looking in that price range I would look at Pacesetter, from what I've seen, Hookers are a PITA to install. On one car we even had to take the motor mount out and jack the whole motor on the passanger side to get it in. From what I've seen, Pacesetters are the best bang for the buck that you can get. $365 for Race headers, $380 for emissions (both are coated) + $130 for the matching ORY.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adam @ New Era
If you are looking in that price range I would look at Pacesetter, from what I've seen, Hookers are a PITA to install. On one car we even had to take the motor mount out and jack the whole motor on the passanger side to get it in. From what I've seen, Pacesetters are the best bang for the buck that you can get. $365 for Race headers, $380 for emissions (both are coated) + $130 for the matching ORY.
I thought about pacesetter but then I decided I want stainless. Does anyone know how much a custom y pipe would cost ( roughly ) ??? thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

pacesetter y-pipe blows big n_ts!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Anybody look into the bbks that soul tkr raved about. Was gonna give them a try, anyone else?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

QTPs have the better HVMC, they are SS. That is what i have and what i recommend. When your getting a Y pipe, the best route is do get a customized one. That why you can install so that your Y pipe will not bang the floor board.

Also before you do LTs, make sure you get yourself some poly motor mounts too

-Jonas
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Well if you don't want to do pacesetters, then I would go with QTP over hooker. And if you get a custom Y pipe made, try to get the shop thats making it to have the two pipes off the collectors equal length and pointing the same direction, then make a collector around them. This cuts down on rasp dramatically vs cutting a hole in a bend and welding a pipe to it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

looks like im just gonna go ahead and get the qtp's and try and have a custom ory pipe made. Thanks for all the input and sugestions guys.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I have been looking for a long time, looked at the LPP's, they look nice but I dont want to be one of the first people to install them, I have been looking around and the Hookers are by far best bang for buck, little better header than the pacesetter and basically the same price, the coated hookers are 379.00 with free shipping from "speedtweekerz", and hookers being hard to install? that is contrart to what I have read, from what I understand they are one of the easiest.

send a PM to memeber "JB" he installed the hookers very recently after not wanting to wait for the LPP's. Nothing against QTP's but you are gonna pay quite a bit for a shop to fab you a nice Y pipe. So that will be all your money, or you can get the hooker combo and just bolt it all on and go, but thats my opinion, I like I like easy time saving solutions so I am going to go with hookers. Besides, the hookers also have a good collector and are tuned headers where as the pacesetters are not and I have seen some pictures of some nasty merges on the pacesetter Y pipe, also look into TSP's pacesetter and TSP Y pipe combo, that would be a good combo, or hell call TSP and ask them if their Y pipe will work on those QTP's