Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers: Equal length or unequal length?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers: Equal length or unequal length?

I was wondering what the difference was between headers with equal length primaries like the hooker headers compared to the pacsetters with do not have the equal length primaries. Is there a performance difference or is it just a sound difference. I would rather buy the pacesetters since I can get a coated pair for about $330 compared to the hooker $600. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Headers: Equal length or unequal length?

There are different 'schools' of thought on this one.
There are 3 types:
Equal
Tuned
Un-equal/un-tuned

Some folks swear by equal length tubes.
Some folks swear by tuning the length of each tube. This gets very custom though... There are so many factors that contribute to what is considered tuned, and they vary from car to car, engine to engine, and even what the primary goals of the engine are.
Then, there are cheap untuned headers that, in the interest of keeping the price down, are built a certain way for no other reason but to fit the body style in the easiest way possible. Some folks say the extra work put into anything else is not worth the effort outside of NASCAR. These headers will surely give you 99% of the benefit of others and fit better to boot.
So I guess it's all in what you need and can afford.
My .02
Dave
Old 08-19-2003, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, although i got shorties (Hooker), they are equal length. From what I gathered they help in preventing certain cylinders from emptying gases at uneven rates, but I don't know if that is noticeable in shorties. But in LT's maybe.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No question that both equal and/or tuned headers have an edge over the standard...
It's just a question if it is enough to fit your needs and budget. The gain is very small, and sometimes not even a gain, but more of a tuning of the powerband.
Dave

Quick Reply: Headers: Equal length or unequal length?