Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UMI Adjustable Torque Arm Installed...Strange Noises!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Adjustable Torque Arm Installed...Strange Noises!!!

I just installed a new UMI adjustable T/A on my 02 WS6 M6 a couple weeks ago.. the model that moves the front mounting point to the crossbrace on the floorpan. Ever since the car has been making an annoying whining noise almost all the time only while the car is moving, especially on deccell and coasting in neutral and i've been feeling vibrations all over. The whining noise sounds almost exactly like it did before I had the rear end overhauled and had the ring and pinion backlash adjusted, but the noise does not sound to be coming from the rear, sounds like mid to front of car. I know the vibration is caused by the fact that the crossbrace is pushed all the way against the ypipe, but I can not solve the whining noise to save my life.

I had the pinion angle at -6 degrees (by accident) for the 1st couple days, when I talked to jerry at Tech. Support at UMI he told me to put it down to -3 and the noise should go away.. nope.. then put it as close to zeroed out as I could get it.. still no help.. The car has never seen the track..(yet)... and i only step on it every so often.. just had the trans completely rebuilt back in january.. everything was absolutely fine up until the torque arm install and it has been an issue every since.. the only thing I can think of is maybe the crossbrace being pushed up against the ypipe is causing the noise as well as the vibration, but it doesn't do it just revving the engine at a standstill..any ideas guys?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

I have a umi relocated torque arm and get some noise also. It's pretty much normal from most of the cars I have ridden in with them. I did mod mine by cutting a piece of inner tube and mounting it between where the torque arm mount bolts onto the tunnel and it seemed to help some.

Scott
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Post relocate the torque arm to the lower bolt hole

i have the same UMI torqure arm as you (with the 2 settings bracket), i found that then when installing the torqure arm to the top most hole that the bolt makes contact to with my driveshaft balance weight and is too close to the drive shaft, even if the bolt is reversed the other direction. i moved it to the middle or bottom hole and it clears the balance weight and drive shaft. since your talking about a vibe when the vehicle is moving also you could have already knocked the weight off and is casuing a vibe.this is where i would start with your drive shaft.also do have a UMI panhard rod?
since this will reduce the side to side movement of the rearend, which could flex just enough to hit the bolt to the driveshaft, i would recommend a panhard rod if you dont have one.

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
I just installed a new UMI adjustable T/A on my 02 WS6 M6 a couple weeks ago.. the model that moves the front mounting point to the crossbrace on the floorpan. Ever since the car has been making an annoying whining noise almost all the time only while the car is moving, especially on deccell and coasting in neutral and i've been feeling vibrations all over. The whining noise sounds almost exactly like it did before I had the rear end overhauled and had the ring and pinion backlash adjusted, but the noise does not sound to be coming from the rear, sounds like mid to front of car. I know the vibration is caused by the fact that the crossbrace is pushed all the way against the ypipe, but I can not solve the whining noise to save my life.

I had the pinion angle at -6 degrees (by accident) for the 1st couple days, when I talked to jerry at Tech. Support at UMI he told me to put it down to -3 and the noise should go away.. nope.. then put it as close to zeroed out as I could get it.. still no help.. The car has never seen the track..(yet)... and i only step on it every so often.. just had the trans completely rebuilt back in january.. everything was absolutely fine up until the torque arm install and it has been an issue every since.. the only thing I can think of is maybe the crossbrace being pushed up against the ypipe is causing the noise as well as the vibration, but it doesn't do it just revving the engine at a standstill..any ideas guys?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

I doubt it is the bolt hitting the driveshaft. It sounds like rear end noise. My buddy put one on his car, and made his differential sound really bad. What you are doing is tranfering all the noise under the car, directly to the body. Yeah it sucks, but I would rather have a stiff, noisey car. And you don't want your angles at zero. That will cause u-joint failure very prematurely.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats right. I have had that torque arm and it transfers all the noise into the car. The problem is inherent with this style torque arm.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crap, i ordered one of these today!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, mines not noisy at all

Quick Reply: UMI Adjustable Torque Arm Installed...Strange Noises!!!