Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Oil Line Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Oil Line Sizing

Information:

System is will be installed in a 2001 Camaro, LS1. Will use custom Radiator / oil cooler combination. I am using an adapter (P/N 12480120, GM part number) to get to the engine oiling system. Adapter is attached to the LS1 block just above the oil filter, like on the LQ9 truck engines. Adapter block has two ½ holes for oil to pass to and from the block though the adapter. Output and Input on the adapter are taped for ½ NPT.

Note: Adapter is not the same as that used on the GM trucks for external oil cooler. I purchase this unit for Tom Oates Racing, it is a special GM part.

Now for my question:

Do I use AN 10 or 12 braided line and fittings?

Would I need a high volume oil pump if I use AN 12 braided line?

Does the oil output from the block have an internal bypass that will protect the cooler?

Any other issues not address please let me know.

Note: custom radiator / oil cooler will be rated for 600 HP.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: External Oil Line Sizing

I talked to Gary at ARE and he informed me -10 was aready bigger than the inlet and outlet galleys from the block at the oil pan, so the -12 would be overkill.

I don't really think the high volume pump would be as important as maybe getting a shimmed pump to bump the pressure a bit. You are going to lose some pressure in your plumbing and passing throught the cooler.

Internal Bypass to protect the cooler?? Not sure what you mean, can't help on this.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: External Oil Line Sizing

The block itself has no bypass, as that block off plate is normally just a pass through.

The oil cooler adapter for the trucks has a 10 psi bypass built into it. Not sure if the one you have does. It's pretty obvious on the truck one, as there is a brass plug covering the bypass valve. If all you have is a block with holes, you don't have a bypass.

Could always look into an oil cooler thermostat, more for the bypass feature. Normally on a water cooled setup, you don't need to worry so much about over cooling the oil like an air to oil setup.