Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut outs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut outs?

Hey Fellas,
I went to a Mighty Muffler the other day and asked the tech about getting some cutouts and he said it wouldnt be a good idea because my car NEEDS back pressure and that he wasnt even sure that I could do to lack of space. Any advice or explainations if possible would be appreciated.
-Josh
Old 08-23-2003, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Cut outs?

He's talking out of his ***.

People have done it in about every postion possible (wait, that doesn't sound right ). You'll definetly gain HP over stock catback with a cutout...you might lose a TINY bit of low-end but not enough to notice.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay then, this may be a stupid question to you guys but do I get them put in before or after the cats? He said if I put them before it would throw a check engine light. Any more advice man?
-Josh
Old 08-24-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way you can put them before the cats is with some serious custom exhaust modification. A guy on here did that recently. Since the cats are basically bolted on right after the manifolds, they must be relocated downstream in the exhaust system

If you had a cutout after your first O2 sensor but before the cat, so that when you opened it the cat would be bypassed, your driveability would not be affected. Your front O2's are used for tuning and your rear(after the cat) O2's are used ONLY to see if the cats are working and do not affect the way the car runs. If you bypass the cats, you will get an SES light, but the car will run fine--all you have to do is get a pair of O2 simulators for the rear pair of O2's and you'll be fine...no SES

The most common spots to put them are in the y-pipe just after the merge, just before the I-pipe bends into the muffler, and if you want to go with two of them - just after the cats on either side of the y-pipe.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

cutouts are good... for a fraction of the money you make as much power as a aftermarket catback...( in most cases) cutouts are also louder....

one of the most common places to put them is under the passanger rear seat.. there is a little hump under there
Old 08-25-2003, 03:49 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

just my .02 cents but i think that they are worth it for the money. they are almost a must have if you plan any future mods. as far as the back pressure he is right as you will lose some. some people dont lose a lot of low end torque and others a significant amount. me personally i lost enough that i miss it in everyday driving. going around town i never see 4000 rpms plus so there is a lot of torque that i could use. i find myself staying in gear a little longer. but when i get on her and the rpms are staying above 4800 to redline the increased breathing and horsepower make up for it. it is a noticeable diference for sure. i only have one palced after the merge and two for a fairly stock car might be a little much, but to each his own. a single cutout should be plenty.
but i forgot to mention that i have no cats with long tubes and o2 sims on my ws6... but my 2000 ta had only a cutout and it worked about the same....just a lot louder over stock. good luck and i hope this helps