Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water temp sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:03 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water temp sensor question

While doing my cam install, I broke the plastic clip part on what I believe to be the water temp sensor on the front drivers side of the block ... right above the first sparkplug.

Does anyone know the part number for this badboy?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: water temp sensor question

I don't know the P/N but I went to Napa and they had the cheapest price out of: dealer, autozone, pepboys, murrays. All of them said they would need to do a 1 day order of it, I had Napa do it. When you install it, make sure u put some teflon tape on the threads, and do not over tighten it at ALL, I did and it broke off in the head, luckily I was able to get it out.
I broke mine the exact same way, and if you have the temp gauge on, like I did w/o the plastic, it'll stay on till you hammer it(giev the car gas) and then you will get an ses light. Code says overvolt, no biggie, just pop the new one in and reset the pcm.
Oh yeah, when driving and mine fell off, the car would studder.
-Steve
Old 08-25-2003, 02:55 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the P/N but I went to Napa and they had the cheapest price out of: dealer, autozone, pepboys, murrays. All of them said they would need to do a 1 day order of it, I had Napa do it. When you install it, make sure u put some teflon tape on the threads, and do not over tighten it at ALL, I did and it broke off in the head, luckily I was able to get it out.
I broke mine the exact same way, and if you have the temp gauge on, like I did w/o the plastic, it'll stay on till you hammer it(giev the car gas) and then you will get an ses light. Code says overvolt, no biggie, just pop the new one in and reset the pcm.
Oh yeah, when driving and mine fell off, the car would studder.
-Steve
Yeah, I broke the actual clip, so it falls off constantly. The car bucks like a wild bull when it starts to lose the connection.
I got a code for a few days, but then it went out after I used some high temp gasket maker to seal the plastic back on. It worked great for a week or so, but its starting to come loose now, and the same prob is coming.

I'll run to napa, thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem man. I actually used a screw driver to pry the two prongs apart to make it wider, that didnt help much, stayed on for a week that way, but seriously be careful when putting the new one on, screw it in by hand and give it 1/4 turn with a torque wrench, thats all it needs.
-Steve