Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have QTP headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone have QTP headers?

I ordered mine on July 1, 1978 so I'm hoping they will get here by the end of the decade. I'm really close to canceling my order because of the wait. I was told 'two weeks' then, 'maybe another two' and then, 'I don't know, could be next shipment.' If anyone here has them please tell me how great they are and how much better they are than the rest and how they are worth the wait. I ordered 1-3/4" without emmissions with the dual-electric cutout 3" Y-pipe. I'm hoping this is really going to move some air. It's gonna cost me $1400 after shipping and if I see one more FLP kit for sale I might just do it. I hear Kooks make a very similar header? And they are in Bowling Green, no shipping!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone have QTP headers?

I can empathize with your wait. My headers appear to be of high quality, and with the QTP merge collectors & y-pipe, I got outstanding numbers out of my bolt-on car.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got my own opinions on QTP
Id go Kooks, if not the cheaper Hookers. How much Hp we talking here between the two like 5 hp or something? I mean really there are only so many ways the primaries can exit the block because of the steering, k-member and the oil filter. So is it really worth the $1000 for 10 hp? Get a set of coated Hookers... or if you have to get every last HP go with the Kooks.

absolut, what are your outstanding numbers?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

absolut, what are your outstanding numbers?
362.5hp and 372.7ft-lb of torque It's strictly bolt-on and I haven't thrown pulleys on yet which could get me darn close to 370 with just bolt-ons.

Squeezing max hp out of my exhaust is necessary because I can't touch the internals in my autocross classification. I can't claim they are the be all to end all, but I can say they are a very good performing header. I also can't tell someone whether they are worth the wait. I don't think one would be let down upon receipt, but everyone's value on time is different as well.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I pulled 359 RWHP internally stock through them...WITH AN A4. Their fit is perfect. I couldn't be happier with them.

Sounds like the demand is pretty high for them right now.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
Check your email for a tracking number. Enjoy
Old 08-26-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahhh...I just LOVE a happy ending!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well guess it's happened, but jsut for a reference these things are a sinch to install. Didn't even have to pull the plugs or steering shaft. I was very impressed wiht what it sounds like with my borla.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh...I just LOVE a happy ending!
LOL.

Thanks Barry. This is going to be a good week! I didn't mean to sound impatient. I've been wanting to do my engine for two years and I've been counting the hours these past few weeks. I really don't think one month is too long of a wait for these headers and I actually do thank you for getting them out so soon considering all of the orders you have in for these. I'll let you know what numbers I pull after I install my TR230 next week. My friend took off his SLP's and we are going to do a back-to-back dyno to see how much better they run. I can't wait to use the electric cutouts!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i got mine after a 3½ month wait.
between the wait and the lack of performance gains i got out mine, as well as a few other things, i would have done another route if i knew half the sh*t i went thru.

when i talked to barry about ordering my stuff, i knew what i needed and wanted. having gone thru the whole ordeal on my 97 SS, i was much prepared to do it right on my 2001 SS. i needed everything but the cutout and i went with cats.
he quote me just over $1400 for the headers, cats, ypipe, and, in my words to him, i needed the 02 simulators in late march.
july 16th my headers showed up and my o2 sims coming a week later, and to find out an additional charge of $95 on my cc. so, i spent over $1500 and waited almost 4 months for my entire purchase to show up. besides excuses and the additional charge, i was offered nothing for my inconvienence.
i emailed barry about my concern, and he ended up saying anyhting he can do to help out to let him know, but was obviously wasnt true to his word...again.

as far as performance gains, i felt nothing, and to be honest, thought my car felt slower. i emailed him and in my original letter to him and he was only interested in hearing dyno numbers, and not my opinion in difference. well, my impression was correct. running a best of 13.4 at 106.6 w/ (2.3 60ft)(avg. 13.5 @105mph) with just a lid before the header installed, turned into a 13.6 104 with a slighly better 60 ft (2.28).
the only differnce being is the headers and ypipe. possibly could be the centermount cat back exhaust is bottlenecking me, but from previous experience, i should have gained in performance and not lost.

the design, fit and quality, i have no problem with, they sare decent, but for the performance, cost, and customer service, i won't give it my approval...not just yet anyways.

maybe i got a bad header, maybe i just got jacked by barry, all i know is i am definitly not happy with them.

anyways, hang in there, they should be at your house with in 3-4 months of ordering

better luck than I.

dave c
Old 08-28-2003, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

barry,
sorry for the post, i emailed you 2 weeks ago to resolve this matter between you and I, and that went nowhere. my last email still has not been replied to.
if you wish to contact me on this matter, you have several options to do so.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is absolutely no way that his headers caused you to have a power loss compared to stock manifolds. There were other factors besides the headers that you didn't address. The only way the header could be "bad" would be if it had leaks and surely you would know if that were the case.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, Droopy, I'm not trying to jump your *** or anything. You did wait a long while for them so I don't blame you for being upset. I'm just cautioning you not to assume that the headers caused you the 2 MPH loss. If you think about it, you know that honestly the headers couldn't have done that without there being other factors.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

QTP's are one of the best designed headers for the LS1 there is, you lost MPH due to other reasons.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

what did i lose mph to, that i dont know for sure???
nothing changed exept headers and the ypipe.

im gonna swap out plugs and wires on a 20k mile car just to see if that helps out. to be fair about it, i lost about 1 mph on average. still, loss of mph or no gain isnt good...well not for that kinda money.

Near future plans are reputable head and cam and tuning package either this fall or early spring. money is there, just short on time.

you guys suggest a good plug and wire i should go with?

and trust me, if you think i am proud to post this, i certainly am not. i feel embarrassed and pissed about it. no leaks, perfect fit, and everything is installed correctly...so with nothing else being altered, i am gonna narrow it down to what i think it is. you have any suggestions, please feel free to throw em my way.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I waited about 8-9 weeks for mine. The thing that gets me is that everybody complains about how long they waited and how it sucks, but it's not like he charged your credit card and then you waited 8-9 weeks, minus X number of dollars. Its a small company with a great product, you have to be patient. Sure, I would have loved to have my headers 2-3 weeks after I ordered, but I didn't. I'm not whinning! Sh*t happens guys!
As for Droopy, did you get your car tuned after the install?? Check to see if your running lean or rich?? Maybe a misfire in one of the cylinders?? Just trying to make suggestions. For the rest you you guys, good luck with your headers. I can't wait to have mine put on next week!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Droopy, something has to be wrong with your car besides the headers. Even crappy headers are going to flow better than stock manifolds. Headers will make a car run really rich and the OBDII will try to correct that which is why alot of LS1's tend to run lean after a header install. You are probably experiencing a lean condition and you might be getting some knock retard. I would atap the car and change the plugs and wires. The best thing would be to dyno the car with a wideband 02.
Man, I feel really bad complaing about waiting a month....
Old 08-29-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i had to wait 3 but these things were so easy to install, just the mufflex y is a pain in the ***. I'm still in the rich condition, got smoke coming out everywhere.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Droopy, If you dont tune the a/f ratio after any LT header install you may very well lose horse power. I see guys at the track in Sac put on long tubes and get pissed that they are not going any faster. The headers make the car run way to rich. That is why it needs to be put on a dyno. Untill you dyno the car and get your A/F ratio you should not be blaming the headers. Now if you tune the car and get a perfect A/f and still run slower then you have a position to make a claim againt QTP but untill then you might want to keep the complaints to the amount of time it took to get your headers. I had QTP headers on order and fimaly gave up after waiting four months. So I am by no means giving you this info to help out QTP, just stating the facts about any long tube header install regaurdless of brand. PM me if you want more details on tuning headers.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

RB185AFM
i understand what you are saying. trust me, i have been thru all of this. i understand the a/f ratio might be out of whack, but i will atap my car tomorrow to see the true results, but i dont think thats the only problem.

QTP switched their supplier, thus the wait being so long, i am wondering if the quality is bit different. plus when installing i had to add a 2 " pipe inorder for the headers and cats to hook up to the ypipe. for some reason, the length got screwed up, or the CME is made shorter than most exhausts.

i know i am not alone, i have had 2 other people email/PM me with their misfortunes with QTP's. like all companies, you are not gonna get 100% customer satisfaction, its just upsetting the whole ordeal didnt go well for me. I was charged an extra $95 and the lack of cimmunication between him and I.

LIKE I SAID, I WILL ATAP THE CAR, AND SEE IF I CAN GET A DYNO RUN SOMETIME THIS FALL

THANKS ALL
DAVE