Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts backing out...Locking header bolts or lock washer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header bolts backing out...Locking header bolts or lock washer?

Well I bought some used headers and he gave me locking bolts but its just the bolt itself none of the locking stuff. They keep backing out and are leaking...can I just throw some lock washers in between the bolt and header or should I just order some new locking header bolts? If you have tried either of these please let me know your experience and if it helped. Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Order some new ones they are fairly cheap.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of your local auto parts houses will sell locking headers bolts as well. I know the Advanced Auto parts up the street from me sells them that fit LS1 heads, cause I've bought a few sets.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

i was having the same problem, mr.gasket sells some locking washers that are thick and work great, part number #3416 very cheap too...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did studs on mine. Hooker long tubes for the 1st gen F car. 2300 miles and I have not had to retighten. GM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

If you go the lock washer route I would highly recommend you use heat-treated stainless steel, else the washers won't hold up for an awfully long time with the heat and rust potential. However, heat-treated stainless hardware isn't very easy to find in your local hardware stores.

Stage 8 locking header bolts are great though. They'll last and will look great forever. We have some in stock if you're interested:

http://marylandspeed.com/stage-8-loc...00-p-1006.html
Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would go the stud route. It's simple, reliable, and not a bandaid. Bolts sometimes don't fit properly, and they can loosen. The studs should be bullet proof. Be sure to torque them so you know where you start from if you have issues later on.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

i have studs from arp i think they were 99 dollars
Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

I personally would NOT use studs. If you have to ever do any future work on your motor, and have to drop the headers, the studs will make life a mess. I spent a whole f'ing day getting studs out trying to drop the headers when I was doing some motor work on my LS1 Trans Am.

They work well, but I will NEVER use studs again. Just get some regular header bolts, and put a little blue loctite on the threads, and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Anti-seize on the studs will save you the grief. You do not need ARP studs. Go to a fastener supplier and you can get studs, nuts and lock washers for about $30. ARP fasteners are great but don't **** away $99 on header studs.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always just reused the gm stuff with great results. I have a set of stage 8 locking I will sell you for $20 ($35-40 retail I believe) shipped cause I never needed them.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
Anti-seize on the studs will save you the grief. You do not need ARP studs. Go to a fastener supplier and you can get studs, nuts and lock washers for about $30. ARP fasteners are great but don't **** away $99 on header studs.
Anti-seize does work, that is true, but try pulling out the studs in the back, if one does get stuck (which they will guaranteed) with the header lose, and besides, whats the flippin point of studs if you can't get the header out with them in!!! LOL

Its a waste of time and effort, just use regular header bolts with some loctite and REALLY save yourself the grief haha. Life will be SOOOO much easier.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

This is why building cars is so much fun, there are different ways to do things and everyone has their own preference. Your way may work for you but not the next guy. You like bolts and blue loctite (actually anything on the threads, even RTV would work), that technique takes up the tolerances and lessens the vibration to the threads which helps keep them tight. The stud version is less stressful to the threads in aluminum heads, if a bolt does come loose it will cause damage to the threads by enlarging the hole. I have not seen a stud back out like the bolts tend to do. I have a friend with a V10 Ford with Gibson headers, he used the bolts and had nothing but problems, went to studs and has not had to tighten them of buy a bolt because it fell since. Studs are difficult in soem vehicles but in others there is no issue. As usual, to each their own.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i use stage 8's but no locks they wont do any thing on some of the bolts any ways because the tubes are too far away. get the ones for a ford mod motor they are a bit longer closer to factory length the ones for the ls1 run short (causing them to back out easier) and then you will have 4 extra to use for your air tubes also.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

i dont have air tubes, and i have the old qtps and they have a thinner um (insert name for plate bolts go thru i am drawing a blank right now) because my stock bolts bottomed out and so did ls2 bolts we almost fucked up the threads in a few holes. these were a little shorter and went all the way in just dont stay in and i think its mostly the driver side leaking...

right now im leaning towards backing them out and putting loctite on them...isnt there differnt levels of loctite andy suggestions for this
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

ya the ls1 sage 8's are alot shorter than the stockers but i would go with a blue lock tight the red stuff is the strongest but i dont like to use it on aluminum parts.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
For a deal on studs and nuts, go to a Honda dealer. All of their 4 cylinder engines come with 8 mm exhaust studs, and the quality on these is great. They will be about half of the price of the ARP fasteners, and a quality proven OEM part.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formulated
For a deal on studs and nuts, go to a Honda dealer.

I know you just didn't suggest installing Honda anything on a F-body......
It's bad enough that we have to use a Furd rearend to get reliability, now we have to use Honda parts?

j/k man, the Honda idea is actually pretty good......but.........

is Honda a sponsor?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

i think next weekend im gonna go home and just back them out put some blue loctite on there and maybe some stainless lock washers and see what happens... if that doesnt fix it then ill look at the stage 8's, thanks guys
Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I used new GM gaskets and used the bolts that came with the pacesetters.
I also used a flat washer and a lock washer(flat washer on the head first then then the lock washer.
Been running it for about 6 months now with no leaks or bolts backing off.
I rechecked the bolts a couple days after installing the headers and none of them moved.
I also sprayed the heads of the bolts with black rustoleum to prevent rust. 6 months later and still looking new.

Quick Reply: Header bolts backing out...Locking header bolts or lock washer?