Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Flowtech y-pipe pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone have Flowtech y-pipe pics?

Well, I've been trying to identify these crappy headers that the previous owner of my latest project put on.

I believe they are the notorious flowtech headers. As for the y-pipe, I can only guess that it, too, is a pos flowtech.

It has dimples on the driver's side crossover all the way until it meets the passenger side.

Also, whoever installed these turds didn't have a friggin' clue about installing headers. The flanges sit about 1/4" off of the exhaust port. Now, the primaries are touching the heads, due to someone (from what I can tell from just eyeballing it without pulling them off yet) welding extra material on the primaries because they tried to use the stock bolts instead of just getting shorter bolts (here's your sign).

As crappy as this car was put together, I should start a thread on how not to build a LS1.

Anyway, if this is a flowtech y, I can see why I have not been able to find pictures of it anywhere on the web. Even Holley's website doesn't have pics of it. That is a testament to it's craptacularness. Anyone have a pic of just the flippin' y-pipe?

....not that I'm going to keep it. Pacesetter coated LT's, y, and TSP rumbler are getting ordered this weekend.

Also, going to post some pics of everything soon. Just forgot to grab the digital when I was last underneath the chassis......and Ike has sort of put a hold on my plans until next week.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's the pic of mine when new

my flowtechs fit very well for the "cost". the ypipe fit 110% perfect. with no issues with clearance or anything.

still have the ypipe....and its off the car if you REALLY want more pics.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it definately isn't a flowtech y on there then. It doesn't even look as nice as your pic.

As for the headers, I'm not entirely sure they are flowtechs now. It is possible that they are pacesetters that the previous owner had a three-bolt flange installed on.

<sigh>

Oh well, at least it DOES have a pretty decent cam in it. Verified a little while ago that it is a XER281HR. Pretty big cam, but I'm sure that it is having a really hard time breathing through the stock LS1 intake manifold. We'll remedy that shortly. Oh yeah, big honking cam and the tranny shop that rebuilt the trans convinced the guy that he would "see more low end torque" with stock stall. Note to self: Start pricing a PT4000.

Also, the engine and trans were refurbished about 4000 miles ago, so at least I have that going for me.

I opened a photobucket account last night, so I am going to start a thread on the restorod of this thing. I'll start doing some how-to's with pics and VIDEO! Seeing how there is hardly any how-to vids out there and youtube is free, why not? Also, itching to play with my new camera that has great video and sound.

.....more to come.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Flowtech y-pipe pics?