Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods?

I have a 2000 WS6 M6 TA and I was wondering what mods can I put on my car that will give me the best power and will not destroy my gas mileage because I use it as a daily driver?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am still new to ls1's.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

and obviously new to the forum.

with hundreds of thousands of threads and topics....you don't think you could do a little reading first?

SEARCH is your best friend.

i suggest reading the first 10 pages of threads (scanning for the pertinent ones) of the LS1 internal and the LS1 external sections, as well as the suspension section.

search anything you don't quite understand.

99.9% of things have been asked....several times...usually in the past day or at least week.

welcome.

oh and make a signature telling us about your car, year, type, mods, goals...etc
Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1978transam
I have a 2000 WS6 M6 TA and I was wondering what mods can I put on my car that will give me the best power and will not destroy my gas mileage because I use it as a daily driver?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am still new to ls1's.

Thanks
Believe it or not most mods that free up intake and exhaust restrictions can actually improve mileage a little. Here's a few that will hurt mileage:
- supercharger
- changing gears in the rear end
- high stall converter (I know you have a manual)
- gigantic cam that won't run well at low RPM
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Believe it or not most mods that free up intake and exhaust restrictions can actually improve mileage a little. Here's a few that will hurt mileage:
- supercharger
- changing gears in the rear end
- high stall converter (I know you have a manual)
- gigantic cam that won't run well at low RPM
Gears in a manual might not hurt mileage if you change your driving style accordingly (variable on speed as well). My last tank after putting my 4.10s in, I still averaged 23 mpg, mix of highway, stop go, and city driving. But the downside to gears...you want to get in them more, thus ******* up your mileage

For the OP, I would do just bolt ons. i didn't see what year your car was, so I will just throw these out. Lid, Ported TB, ls6 intake, LTs (emissions permiting), ory/duals, catback w/ cutout. Nice gains, wont kill mileage. Gears if you want to accelerate quicker, but if you drive 75 mph highways everyday, I would reconsider. Oh, after everything is installed, TUNE. Best way to get the most out of your mods, and mileage and drivability. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend Headers and a y-pipe first. They pick up great horsepower and don't kill too much gas mileage. It will bring it down a bit, but remember you can't make extra power without more fuel.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
Start with bolt-ons then work towards the bigger mods. Just do your research before you start and have your goals in mind the whole time.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Launching!

for the 98-00 f-body cars a ls6 intake will work good with the higher lift cams in those cars.