Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temporary open headers ok?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default temporary open headers ok?

heres my dilemma. the exhaust shop doing my true duals wants an arm and a leg to install my jet-hot LT's, so i plan on installing them at my house with a few friends who have installed LT's on LS1's before. i was planning on just getting the headers in, hooking up the front 2 o2 sensors (with the extensions), plugging in the 02 simms in the back, then driving the car to the exhaust shop (about 15 miles away). is it safe, or am i risking engine damage? thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: temporary open headers ok?

You're not risking engine damage. You could run it from now on like that (but your neighbors and the cops might not like it!)
Old 09-11-2003, 06:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i ran with just my LT and custom Y for a week before my catback can be installed.

two words; LOUD as ****. it sounded badass but it gets old after a while. sounds like a beast when you first crank it over . just keep the revs down so you dont draw unwanted attention
Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

No but your car may run funny, Ive always heard that you need 18 inches after the O2 sensor for the PCM so it can read correctly. It wont hurt anything, watch out for the police though!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

ok good,thanks for the help!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

No but your car may run funny, Ive always heard that you need 18 inches after the O2 sensor for the PCM so it can read correctly.
Yup, I ran open "headers" (by headers I mean stock manifolds ) for about two weeks. No problems but it did set a low volatage rear O2 code once(wonder why ) . Pretty damn loud, too
Old 09-11-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you do need extensions off the headers (18" is the general rule but a little shorter may work) for it to run right but I thought he said he would run them. Reading it again I think he was talking about wire extensions for the front O2 sensors. Running the open headers without extension will make it run TERRIBLY rich because the O2 sensors will be making contact with outside air and getting a false lean reading.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, you do need extensions off the headers (18" is the general rule but a little shorter may work) for it to run right but I thought he said he would run them. Reading it again I think he was talking about wire extensions for the front O2 sensors. Running the open headers without extension will make it run TERRIBLY rich because the O2 sensors will be making contact with outside air and getting a false lean reading.
yes, i did mean wire extensions (for the 02 sensors). ok, so i can expect it to run pig rich, but im still ok if its only for a 15 minute drive, right? the rich condition should fix itself once the rest of the exhaust is on the car, right? i just want to be sure, thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have to pass a cop, just shut it off and
.................coast...................by
Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

You're not risking engine damage. You could run it from now on like that (but your neighbors and the cops might not like it!)
engine damage...nah
hearing damage...pretty good chance

LOL

Quick Reply: temporary open headers ok?