Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing clearance issues... Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Bearing clearance issues... Help Please

Ok so I started assembling my rebuilt 5.3 clearances. Looked ok so I re-cleaned everything installed the Main bearings then lubed them and the crank ... Crank was polished and Is withen factory spec. I used ACL duraglide Std Bearings. Tourqued everything to spec and turned the crank a revelotion or two between steps to make sure it was good. By the time it was all torued down it stoped spinning... I take it apart 1 cap at a time to see if I am having an issue at 1 specific cap... No such luck...

#1 bearing looks like it had something under the coating.

It lightly scored the crank. I am gonna see if They will warranty the bearings And try and switch them for something else like Clevites.... I am gonna take the crank down and have it looked at agian

Any one Have any Idea's or possible suggestions???
Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you plastigage the clearance?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I mic'd The bearing journals on the crank and checked for out of round and taper. I also checked the stack up on the bearing thickness and the bore size... All withen spec.

I also use plasti gauge to verify that I don't have a bearing that is not seating properly or something... I have actually caught that on other motors since I verified with Plasti Gauge...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From the sound of your description, it sounds like you are running out of clearance or it is definitely too tight. If the crank is within spec, then the bearings seem to be suspect. Is it worth trying the olde bearing just to see if you encounter a similar problem?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the caps get mixed up, it will mess with the clearances.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by veee8
If the caps get mixed up, it will mess with the clearances.
Caps are all in the correct order faceing the correct way...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettenuts
From the sound of your description, it sounds like you are running out of clearance or it is definitely too tight. If the crank is within spec, then the bearings seem to be suspect. Is it worth trying the olde bearing just to see if you encounter a similar problem?
Yes, I am thinking this is the case... Unfortunitally I don't have the old factory bearings... I do have a couple of spare stock motors I could pull apart and measure for comparison

I called my suppler and had them order me another set. I told him I was having trouble with them. I think my cost is only like $30-$40 on the mains. Either way. I am going to also try and go to my buddy's shop so I can chuck up the crank and check it for run out. I am thinking these particular bearings are just to tight. I have Used these same brand of bearings in other types of enginge rebuilds and have never had any problems untill now.

I guess If worst comes to worst and I can't remedy this with another set. I will try another brand. I would just hate to have to order them through a GM dealer because there so expensive through them... At the very worst I guess I could just take it back and have The crank turned. Sucks because Everything is already ballanced to the new pistons and what not...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said the caps were on correct but are you sure the rear cap was opposite the others?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I know you said the caps were on correct but are you sure the rear cap was opposite the others?
You may be on to something there.... I may have inadvertenly flipped it around and not relised it at the time. SOB

Well, I have another set of bearings coming so I will Double/tripple check that this time.... Any one have an actuall picture I can refrence???

Thanks dude!!! I didn't even think about that possibillity. It could certianlly cause a similar issuse...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

the first one I took apart I was like WTF . why is this cap backwards. I still wonder why they did that on the rear cap
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its all wraped up and tucked away right now. I am thinking I lined them all up with the numbers on the same side. #5 is supposed to go 180 with the long side of the cap edges facing forward right??? The #5 would be on the other side from 1-4 right???
Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

yeah the #5 goes on the opposite side
Old 12-02-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I am thinking for some reason I accedentally had all the numbers on the cap facing one side not reliseing the that would put the rear cap facing in the wrong direction...