Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ajustable timing sets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ajustable timing sets.

AM I correct to say that if I have a 9 keyway crank double row sprocket, each time I go foward or back one keway, that IT SHOULD NOT change the LSA by 30+ degrees. EX: foward one key changing the LSA from 111.5 to 144.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Once the timing set is adjust, the timing marks on the gears are no longer in sync right? because we have adjusted.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually, each new keyway has an associated timing mark. Do you have the instructions? Which timing set?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaulinmathvader
AM I correct to say that if I have a 9 keyway crank double row sprocket, each time I go foward or back one keway, that IT SHOULD NOT change the LSA by 30+ degrees. EX: foward one key changing the LSA from 111.5 to 144.
The LSA is ground into the cam and can't change (at least on an OHV LSx single cam motor). An adjustable timing set can advance or retard the cam. I believe the 9 keyways give you these 9 possible settings (advance, straight up, or retard degrees):

+4, +3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -3, -4

Here's a description I found on the net:
"CLOYES BILLET TRUE TIMING CHAIN SET -- Features A Heat-Treated Billet Steel Sprocket, 9 Keyway Crank Settings For Easy Adjustability, Timing Chain Style Is Double Roller Chain With 0.25 Rollers, 4 Degrees Maximum Advance/Retard At Camshaft, 8 Degrees Maximum Advance/Retard At Crankshaft, For Factory Roller Cam"
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shaulinmathvader
Once the timing set is adjust, the timing marks on the gears are no longer in sync right? because we have adjusted.
The timing marks have to be lined up, but the crank sprocket alignment tooth will change when you move off of the 0 degree position to another tooth that must be used. What set is this?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The timing marks have to be lined up, but the crank sprocket alignment tooth will change when you move off of the 0 degree position to another tooth that must be used.
Perxactly! I have a Rollmaster set in my engine, and man was that confusing at first! If you need the instructions, I can photo them and upload (won't be 'til Sun though).

Russ
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Launching!

I finally figured it out. It is a rollmaster. What was happeneing is that I was adjusting foward and realigning the same stock timing marks cuz thats the only ones it has. Through out instructions long time ago. But finally got LSA wihting .625 of what I wanted so thats where it should stay. I belive the slack on the gear and chain is what the error is. But I got it. What I adjust it to the keyway I wanted and realigned the nearest tooth clockwise and it worked. Took about 20 times but I got it done. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Ajustable timing sets.