Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hard is an LS1/LS6 to build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard is an LS1/LS6 to build?

I'm wondering how hard is it to build one of these engines myself? As much as I would like to run down to MTI and pick up an engine, my funds just will not allow it. I have build more SBC and BBC that I have lost count. From the looks of it, the LS1 looks pretty straight forward, but just want to get the opinion of people who have been at these awhile. Is this something I can handle in my garage?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How Hard is an LS1/LS6 to build?

Its not hard at all. It about the same as a SBC. Just you have to get the alignment right on the front and rear covers and the oil pan. Thats the hardest part. The only other thing thats a PITA is the stock bolts. Set to a torque then turn so many degrees. Its stupid

MAKE A NOTE.... theres a plug in the back of the block. MAKE SURE it goes back in or you will NOT have oil pressure. Theres alot of people not putting the plug back in.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How Hard is an LS1/LS6 to build?

...what kind of parts are u planning to assemble....a stroker, perhaps?

...finally after 6 years, there are some hard parts comming onto the market....i hope the parts prices will decline soon as more competition forces better pricing...

...as an example, AFR will soon release the first non-GM head casting ..until now the aftermarket guyes have been porting GM head castings and getting a ton of money for them - this will all soon end, however... ...another company FASX will release a new plastic intake manifold soon that outflows the LS6.

..the cranks are somewhat limited and still very pricy...Callies has about the best price and you can get one for about $1,600... pistons and rods are competively priced with the earlier Gen 2 stuff...