Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing on 408.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun bearing on 408.. :(

well im pretty sure i spun a bearing the other night. bottom end is knocking really bad. My only other guess is that the clutch has broken and is flopping around on the back of the motor.

My question is this... usually when you spin a bearing wont it take out the spark plug? i had to keep the bugger running for about a half mile as i was going up a rediculous hill in the middle of the night and there was no pull off area. I pulled all my plugs, they look fine. im not leaking any fluid, and the engine had plenty of oil in it.

What are other options? if it is in deed a spun bearing what would have caused it? engine is a koneig 408 iron block. Ive put some good miles on the motor so i dont feel bad that it finally went, just trying to figure out "why".

Didnt check my oil pressure as my wonderful sensor went bad about 8 months ago for the 3rd time and i got sick of replacing it. (wonderful vette sensors)
Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Restricted User

Your plugs won't show anything of you spun a main or rod bearing. Drain your oil and look for metal particles. You might even see them on your dip stick. That sucks though, been down that road before...

If you ran your car low on oil enough times, you mave have starved a bearing for oil. If you knew your low oil light doesn't work well, then you should be checking it everytime you get gas.

Last edited by 2001 Pewter WS6; 12-15-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Not good to not have a way to monitor oil pressure. As stated ^^^^^^^ check your dipstick and/or drain the oil and look for the tell-tail signs. Good luck and I hope the best for you.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I "thought" my car had plenty of oil in it to when I started up a huge mtn of a hill. Well same as you, all the oil at the back of the oil pan and a little low. It was just enough to spin and stack a few bearings, which i'm sure is what happened here. Its a cheap fix man just get some new bearings and turn the crank, no biggie. Just alot of hours.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
Your plugs won't show anything of you spun a main or rod bearing. Drain your oil and look for metal particles. You might even see them on your dip stick. That sucks though, been down that road before...

If you ran your car low on oil enough times, you mave have starved a bearing for oil. If you knew your low oil light doesn't work well, then you should be checking it everytime you get gas.

my oil light works fine my oil pressure sensor doesnt work (like most vette's lol)
Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
Didnt check my oil pressure as my wonderful sensor went bad about 8 months ago for the 3rd time and i got sick of replacing it. (wonderful vette sensors)
If you replaced the sensor twice and the problem persisted, then the cause was not the sensor. There is most likely a fault in the connector or wiring. Less likely is a problem in the PCM or instrument panel.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
If you replaced the sensor twice and the problem persisted, then the cause was not the sensor. There is most likely a fault in the connector or wiring. Less likely is a problem in the PCM or instrument panel.

lol... dude... its a corvette thing and very very very common.

another question.... my block and such is already clearanced for the 408. how big could i go on the rebuild this time around without additional clearancing? im sure i could go with a bigger piston. but would the stroke stay the same?

Quick Reply: Spun bearing on 408.. :(