Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any forseeable problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any forseeable problems?

I'm planning on doing a H/C package on my car.

I have a set of MMS Stage II heads ported, polished, milled .030 under. The heads have HS 1.7 roller rockers, and Patriot Gold Extreme Dual valve springs.

I plan on running a .040 Cometec gasket and 7.375" pushrods with a 227/226, .579/.580 on 113 LSA cam.

LS2 timing chain and a ported LS6 oil pump.

Heres the problem: The motor has 140k miles on it, will it hold the added power of the cam and how long before I will need to rebuild? Have I missed anything I'll need for install? The install is going to be done professionally, so I'm not worried about the tools, thats their job.

Would I need to upgrade the fuel system any? Or will the completely stock system work with that cam?

What kind of power gains can I expect with the usual mods? (lid, descreened MAF, LTs, 2.5" over the axle true duals, etc)

How will the 10 bolt hold up if I'm easy on it? 3.23 gears.

Not worried about the tranny, its being replaced with a Dr. Evil Stage III and a 3600 locking stall.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any and all help/advice given.

The car still has the LS1 intake with EGR mod done. Should I wait until I have bought an LS6 or 90/90 setup?

**EDIT** Forgot to mention my car has already been tuned by wait4me and will be tuned by him again after the cam install is done.

Last edited by BA98TA; 12-17-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When they slide the original cam out you'll find out what shape the cam bearings are in. If they are worn out I would start to look in to the rod and main cap bearings. If they feel its in good enough shape to slide the new cam in I would add new lifters and trays to your list. A ls6 intake would be a must for me and the fast 90/90 would be a bonus. I think you fuel system should be fine too. The stock 10 bolt is hit or miss some brake with ease and some hold up for awhile. I'm making 540 to the wheels on a 315 wide nitto and its hanging in there but I take it easy untill I'm out of 1st gear. I will be getting a 12 bolt when I get some more $$ saved.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Okay, do you think the motor will hold the extra power with 140k miles on it already?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BA98TA
Okay, do you think the motor will hold the extra power with 140k miles on it already?
With the heads and cam you might fall short on injector. Might want to get some 42's or at least some 36's. I say theres only one way to find out on the motor. Some have no problems with that many miles, others will say it's just good insurance to freshen it up. I would do at least an LS6 intake to make the heads and cam shine better. A FAST would be best though. It's hit or miss on the 10 bolt but, with an auto I think you'll be ok.