Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking that is stumping everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking that is stumping everyone

OK. I have a 98 Z 28. Motor was replaced by previous owner around '03-'04. I cannot be sure as to the mileage, but maybe around 50k. The car developed this ticking sound coming from the drivers side in Oct. '07, about 2 months after I bought it. At first it was believed to be a rod bearing, then a wrist pin, then a rocker, then a push rod. Clicking starts at 1500 RPM and goes till about 3,000 RPM. Does not click on deceleration and if I stomp on it, it only clicks right as the car is about to shift. I cant really sit down one day and tear into the motor, for this is my daily driver. So if you could just take a listen and watch the video, maybe some of you could recognize the sound and point me to the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxLdcSrG27M
Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Teching In

To me it sounds like a wrist pin, but that's going by the video and not a hands on diagnosis.

Is there anything aftermarket in the engine?

... and you have an exhaust leak.

EDIT: I can't promise anything, but it's too high pitched of a noise to be a bearing knock from the crank or rod.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

The only thing that is done to the motor is a 160* t stat and the EGR taken off.

Does it make a difference that I am (75%) sure that this is an LS6 block?

I know i have a leak. I just bought some Hooker super comps to fix that
Old 12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you pulled the valve covers to verify that the top end is in good shape?? Check that before you condemn the bottom end of the motor.

Pull the pushrods and check them for straightness by rolling them accross a glass table. Also check the valve springs and make sure none are broken. If all that checks out, then its possible that its a collapsed lifter (gotta pull the heads) or something in the bottom end.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had a tick for a while too. Mine has changed somewhat. Mine used to only tick from 2000-2500. Now it doesnt start until about 2200 and continues up to about 2800. Mine is clearly coming from the top end. Below 2200 or above 2800 its quiet.

I think I have a bent pushrod or bad lifter. The power steering is leaking so bad I have not been driving it lately.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Teching In

The first thing I would do is take the belt of to elminate noises caused by the automatic belt tenchioner or other accesory. Also sense it has had a motor I would recheck the torgue converter bolt to see if they have loosen up or a brokin flex plate. Also wouldn't mind hearing the knock from the drivers seat. couldn't hear that good
Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started to make a ticking sound from the drivers side about 6 months ago . It goes away after about 3300 rpms and come back. I left to Korea so the car hasn't been touched or driven but I pulled the valvecovers off and checked the pushrods, valvesprings, and the entire top end of the motor and all is in great shape. My engine has like 70,000 miles on it and I was told that it was probably a bad lifter, maybe a spun bearing, and even a o-ring on the oil pump as weird as that sounds. I don't know about a wrist pin but all will be revealed in May when I come home. Oh and don't worry my fingers are already crossed hoping it is a lifter..... Here is some vids of the ticking. Hope it helps...

Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was ticking from the drivers side as well a while back. but throughout the entire rpm range. everyone kept telling me it was an exhaust leak so i kept driving it for a while. well i took off the valve covers and rocker arms and took out the push rods and one had a 45 degree bend on the damn thing. messed up my head real bad also. didnt take me long to check that out after work one day. just need a ratchet and a 10mm socket (i believe), and a torque wrench to put the rocker arms back on.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checking out the basics should only take a couple of hours - pull the belts, rmove the valve covers and check for loose rockets, broken spings, etc. Have you dropped the oil and checked the pan for debris?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. So I checked the rockers, springs, rods, etc. Everything looked fine.