Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any benefits from pulling the engine w/ the tranny attached

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any benefits from pulling the engine w/ the tranny attached

The big engine pull begins tomorrow morning. In all the replies I got to my last thread and in pics too I noticed people were pulling their engines with trannies attached. I have an auto, so getting to the converter bolts is cake and the engine will be free from the tranny once I get all the converter/flexplate bolts out. It would then be a matter of pulling the engine out with a lot more clearance since the tranny isn't coming along for the ride too.
So what are the reasons to pull an the LS1 with tranny(auto in my case) attached?

Wouldn't the pull be easier without the tranny attached?

Would there be alignment problems that would be pretty major once the new engine is going in, engine to tranny wise?
Thanks all for your help,
Jeremy
Old 10-05-2003, 12:33 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Any benefits from pulling the engine w/ the tranny attached

I've done it like that. Its kinda hard to get to all the bellhousing bolts, and you need to unbolt the motor mounts from the block as well as the 2 long pass-through bolts you already would have loose.

Reassembly is kinda hard to line up if you have a torque arm still attached to the rear of the transmission, but it can be done. I think I used some long alignment punches. Or you can take the torque arm loose, it tries to twist the drivers side of the transmission up when there is no engine present.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

A couple of long extensions with a wobbly or from the back of the tranny get the top bell housing bolts.

I have a BMR Tubular K member on the car so getting to the motor mounts is easy, but I can see your point.

Don't have to worry about the torque arm issue, I have the BMR Trak Pak, the torque arm is no longer attached to the tailshaft housing on the tranny. I also have the driveshaft out for new 11mm bolts on the u joint straps( when I snapped the spherical rod end on the torque arm the 4 11mm bolts kinda got took out)
I can see where getting it aligned is an issue but I can get it with a long phillips screw driver or the alignment punches.....i'm hoping..... :p

On a side note, Texas Speed and Performance is AWESOME. Anytime I have a question, these guys post up with great info. They answer emails promptly when you need some specific info on a subject. I have only ordered from them once, but they will be getting more of my business, because they do what sponsor should do if selling product on a board, they take the time to help ANYONE out. That says a lot about them, they are just not out to take/make a buck, they go the extra mile-other sponsors need to pick up on this. Too bad I don't have a F-body shop like this to take my car to in this **** city or it would be there now, with confidence that it would get done right. Thanks again for your help Joseph/TSP
J
Old 10-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like leaving the tranny attached. Easier IMO.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good pic Joe, wanna move to ALB to help out a fellow Formula owner. Help is kinda hard to find out here. to the ones who didn't show today.

On a side note you can get to the top tranny bolts from the top of the motor(one in the middle and the one behind the driverside head) with the intake off. Was a little tedious but what isn't on these cars. :p

Whose bright idea at GM was it to thread the driver side O2 harness through the alternator bracket...and speaking of the alternator what a bitch to disconnect the connector from the top of the alternator, I had to get a stubby flat blade and pry open the "lock" while my dad pulled on the harness up top until it became disconnected. Any how many fricken grounds are on this thing!?!

I took the valve covers off to take a peek and for a 68XXX motor it sure is clean, no deposits or build up anywhere in there. I guess Mobil one works huh? I can't wait to tear the old engine down to see what kind of wear she has. This car is FI'ed since 22,000 miles and beaten on the track and on the street.
Sorry for the ranting but I am finally getting into this now, I also bought a engine hoist from checker for 169.00 with Load Leveler and 2 ton capacity. So if anyone needs to borrow it in ALB, let me know.
J