Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a cam install this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Doing a cam install this weekend

I've done 14 cam installs using this tool. http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/produ...J74FSANH406EEB It's probably not as fast as using the bolt type, but I've never broke a bolt off in a head either. The removable handle is great on the back springs. You can use a gear wrench on the compressor where space is limited.
I just purchased this tool and some springs. we will see how it works in a couple of days cant beat the price though
Old 10-06-2003, 11:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finished up the cam install tonight.

I used the SDPC spring tool for 6 cylinders (all but the back two on the psg side) and that tool is just simply amazing.

For the rear 2 psg side cylinders, I used the ever so popular MORE tool.

These 2 tools combined seem like an awesome solution...the SDPC tool is just lightning quick, low hassle...when it fits. For the tight spaces, the MORE tool is hard to beat.

While they cost an arm and a leg, I think this is the new solution I'm going to have to recommend. Those two above, with the JPR lifter tools (magnets are a hassle, as the magnets can come off!), make a cam swap cake.
What are these tools you talk about?
the SDPC i dont know but im curious to find out.

the MORE tool, bout 130 bucks:

the JPR tool, i believe its 80 bucks:

i spent like 15 bucks on the lever handle tool and like 30 bucks on the over head vavle spring clamp tool.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:09 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that MORE tool probably would've made it really easy. I think I can put up with the regular cranking tool and spend the extra hour or two, rather then spending the 130 bucks however.

The JPR tool is probably worth it though, I researched that alittle bit, and figured the pen magnets looked easy enough. you do have to be careful with them though, but they worked like a charm for me (didn't realize that $2 bucks a pop x 16 would be 32 dollars worth of pen magnets ... I have found them to be very useful in other projects however).
Old 10-07-2003, 08:55 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

This is the SDPC tool I'm talking about...
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...amp;pid=154039

If you have the cash and do lots of cars, this tool is probably worth every penny (it costs lots of pennies!). It'll only work on cylinder 1,2,3,4,5, and 7 though. The A/C and heater lines are in the way for 6 and 8...and that is where the MORE tool comes in.

I'll be adding some more info about this tool to my site soon. It really made my life easier.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

wow, that one looks so much easier too ... good thing these all came out after I did my install.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

This is the SDPC tool I'm talking about...
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...amp;pid=154039

If you have the cash and do lots of cars, this tool is probably worth every penny (it costs lots of pennies!). It'll only work on cylinder 1,2,3,4,5, and 7 though. The A/C and heater lines are in the way for 6 and 8...and that is where the MORE tool comes in.

I'll be adding some more info about this tool to my site soon. It really made my life easier.
holy ****, thats the tool i needed . when you compress the new spring down does it keep the retainer centered around the valve stem? if so thats worth every peny to me. i spent 3-4 days doing my springs and most of that time was spent just trying to keep the retainer straight so both locks would fit.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do not waste your $ on the More tool. It blows ***. Other's can vouch this also.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:53 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Levi, while it does get chewed up, I think it is MUCH better than the cut piece of metal now. Too many people have broken bolts off in their heads to ignore it any longer.

It most certainly doesn't "blow ***". This is the 3rd camswap I've used it on now. I wouldnt use it on all the springs, but for the back 2 on the psg side it is probably the best tool out there.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

God Bless you jmX for all your efforts. There are a lot of folks who talk but, you certainly can maintain an timely, informative and above all useful website. Thanks man.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I think the best valve spring compressor is the KD deluxe valve sring tool. It is even better when you do the #6 #8 springs because you can get a rachet wrench on it by removing the handle and it works fast too. Its like 40 bucks or somthing. I was doing my friends cam and we used those homemade ones, and broke a rocker arm bolt to the #6 spring. We had to get a hardend drill bit and then used an EZ out to extract the bolt. It was to much trouble to worry about. I will always use an overhead vavlespring compressor from now on. Hope this helps, good luck
Old 10-07-2003, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks you all have made my choosing of my parts a lot easier
Old 10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

We got the cam in relatively easy now it's time for the springs, I called my friend and it just so happened he had purchased the lever type tool and broke a waterpump bolt!!! how do we go about taking this bolt out of the head?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

I will be going to work on the car today at 3:00 p.m. so if anyone could please respond before that time it would be best, i'd appreciate it. again thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:53 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

I will be going to work on the car today at 3:00 p.m. so if anyone could please respond before that time it would be best, i'd appreciate it. again thanks guys!
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=399219

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=399223
Old 10-14-2003, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Well guys it's hard to say this but our spring install turned into a complete disaster!! the rocker arm bolt broke in the head and there is just no way to take it out. we tried the easy out and it also broke within the part of the hole that we drilled. so today we started to take off the head and it's off to the machine shop tommorrow, that is the only alternative. although i do report that the cam swap was really easy I've done some older cars but never an ls1 and it's not really that different. if anyone has a better idea to taking out that bolt i'd appreciate it thanks guys for all of your help.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

What tool did you purchase.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done 14 cam installs using this tool. http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/produ...J74FSANH406EEB It's probably not as fast as using the bolt type, but I've never broke a bolt off in a head either. The removable handle is great on the back springs. You can use a gear wrench on the compressor where space is limited.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

My friend purchased a lever type tool and I got my other friend to rent the tool you all talk about but my frind insisted on the lever type and well i didn't want to interfere. do u all think the machine shop can take care of it?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the broken EZ out will complicate things alot , hopefully you'll get it taken care.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Well the machine shop took care of the bolt and everything went in fine. We turned the car on last night like at 2 a.m. and vroom the beast came alive the tr224 is one bada$$ cam, however we did throw two codes today P0300 and P0200 and for some reason the oil pressure is all the way past 80 psi, it's probably the oil pressure sensor in back of the intake anyone got a pic of it? or a way to get to it?