Sponsored by:

help random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more help please

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
ok new plugs,wires, o2 sensor, and now new icm still random misfire. whats next to buy? please help!!!!!!
(forgot) its mising at idle and when i give it gas rpm at 2grand its smooth all the way till i get to a little over 3g? help me tell your friends to read this thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
got o2 sensor, going to put it in the guy at the auto store said if its bank 2 sensor 1 its a downstream o2 sensor dont sound right to me what do you all think?
Bank 1 sensor 1 - DS upstream 02
Bank 1 sensor 2 - DS downstream 02
Bank 2 sensor 1 - PS upstream 02
Bank 2 sensor 2 - PS downstream 02

I would check the connections on the sensor that it said failed. Very likely that there is water in it and that is causing your random misfire.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Bank 1 sensor 1 - DS upstream 02
Bank 1 sensor 2 - DS downstream 02
Bank 2 sensor 1 - PS upstream 02
Bank 2 sensor 2 - PS downstream 02

I would check the connections on the sensor that it said failed. Very likely that there is water in it and that is causing your random misfire.
ok but why no code for o2 sensor? the sensor that failed i replaced with a new one and theirs no water in it. im startting to think fuel filter(but that would **** me off kinda lol!) so im going to borrow a fuel pressure gauge soon.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Your fuel filter wouldn't be effected by a car wash.

Depending on which 02 you replaced, you might have left the defective one on the car. The auto store guy told you the wrong sensor.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Your fuel filter wouldn't be effected by a car wash.

Depending on which 02 you replaced, you might have left the defective one on the car. The auto store guy told you the wrong sensor.
well im broke now so ill have to do cheap stuff for awhile.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Your code said bank 2 sensor 1 failure? And the auto store guy told you to replace the downstream 02. That is the problem, sensor 1 is the upstream sensor.

The downstream sensors do nothing for your fuel trims, they simply monitor your catalyst. They'll throw catalyst efficiency codes if you have a bad cat, or they throw insufficient activity if they're unplugged (aka, removed cats and left 02s unplugged)

The upstream 02 sensors are they only sensors that control fuel trims. So if you have an 02 related problem, it will be an upstream sensor.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

have you cleaned your maf lately? Everything that has a plug or wiring harness unplug them one at a time and get a can of air and blow out every single connection you can find to make sure there's no water in it. I told you b2s1 was pass side closest to the front, right? How come you listened to the auto store guy? Those guys work behind a counter for a reason, they're confused on everything! I NEVER listen to them for car related stuff. 99% of the time they're just trying to make a quick buck for the store and most likely know nothing about your vehicle.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
have you cleaned your maf lately? Everything that has a plug or wiring harness unplug them one at a time and get a can of air and blow out every single connection you can find to make sure there's no water in it. I told you b2s1 was pass side closest to the front, right? How come you listened to the auto store guy? Those guys work behind a counter for a reason, they're confused on everything! I NEVER listen to them for car related stuff. 99% of the time they're just trying to make a quick buck for the store and most likely know nothing about your vehicle.
i wont do it again lol!!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

keep us updated man because I've got a friend in west tn who's going through the same exact thing with his '98 3800. I was trying to fix his but its worse than your's I think. He recently had a rod or something to break which had him to get a shop to swap another 38 in. Well I went through the scanner process and he's got a misfire on cyl 3. I checked his coil which shocked the hell out of me(I was only touching the rubber boot???)anyway his wires looked brand new and looked fine. Then I go to check his spark plug on cyl 3. It was LOOSE! I told him he should be pissed that a shop sold him an engine with loose ****. Plug was all rusty looking. I replaced it for him and it seemed to get better, but still a misfire. Maybe its his fuel injector. good luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Launching!

keep us updated man because I've got a friend in west tn who's going through the same exact thing with his '98 3800. I was trying to fix his but its worse than your's I think. He recently had a rod or something to break which had him to get a shop to swap another 38 in. Well I went through the scanner process and he's got a misfire on cyl 3. I checked his coil which shocked the hell out of me(I was only touching the rubber boot???)anyway his wires looked brand new and looked fine. Then I go to check his spark plug on cyl 3. It was LOOSE! I told him he should be pissed that a shop sold him an engine with loose ****. Plug was all rusty looking. I replaced it for him and it seemed to get better, but still a misfire. Maybe its his fuel injector. good luck!
ok will do .
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Not to jack this guys thread, but my dad had a misfire in his truck on only one cyl. that no one could figure out, not even the dealer. After swapping everything but the computer, he kept running it for a few weeks. Last week it cost him. Turned out to be a broken valve spring, valve finally dropped.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

+1, i told the counter guy i wanted a new flowmaster super 44 for my truck and they said "what year" i looked at him with the most retarded stare and said "what, its a universal muffler i just need a size" ---parts guy "well i cant look it up without a model and year"----me, walking out the door
Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99 BLACKFIRE
Not to jack this guys thread, but my dad had a misfire in his truck on only one cyl. that no one could figure out, not even the dealer. After swapping everything but the computer, he kept running it for a few weeks. Last week it cost him. Turned out to be a broken valve spring, valve finally dropped.
That could be EXACTLY what's wrong with my buddy's car. I'll mention it to him.

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
+1, i told the counter guy i wanted a new flowmaster super 44 for my truck and they said "what year" i looked at him with the most retarded stare and said "what, its a universal muffler i just need a size" ---parts guy "well i cant look it up without a model and year"----me, walking out the door
AND HALF THE TIME THE DAMN COMPUTER IS WRONG!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

well fixed it.....it was a damm dead coil zero resistance! feel like a dumb *** now. thanks to everybody for you time and effort.