Sponsored by:

Valve Float, can someone explain

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Float, can someone explain

Can you guys explain valve float,
how it happens, what happens, what it causes etc...

thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Default Re: Valve Float, can someone explain

Weak springs from fatigue. Not enough seat pressure. Mechanically over-revving the engine (though I am not sure)
Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Restricted User

J-Rod just had a big write up on this...
Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Valve float occurs when the lifter is "thrown" off the nose of the cam lobe and does not touch the back (closing) side of the lobe. Obviously, this has an adverse effect on power, as the timing of the closing of the valve is now significantly different from what it once was. Additionally, it is VERY harsh on valvetrain parts because, as you can imagine, the "landing" of the lifter on the lobe is not a gentle one. It's a hell of a good way to pop the face off a valve.

The cause, as HumpinSS mentioned, is valve springs that are too weak for the lobe shape and RPM level.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys
im just going crazy trying to figure out how i lost 6+mph in the 1/4

i have my limiter set at 6800 and ive hit it alot so i am guessing maybe this is where my loss of power is coming from. should find out soon for sure when my heads/cam package gets here in a few weeks.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:16 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Valve float
A high-rpm engine condition in which the valve lifters lose contact with the cam lobes because the valve springs are not strong enough to overcome the momentum of the various valvetrain components. The onset of valve float prevents higher-rpm operation. The valves will stay open and/or "bounce" on their seats. The clearance in the valve train created by valve float will also cause hydraulic lifters to "pumpup" as they try to eliminate the valve clearance. Extended periods of valve float will damage the valvetrain.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Valve float
A high-rpm engine condition in which the valve lifters lose contact with the cam lobes because the valve springs are not strong enough to overcome the momentum of the various valvetrain components. The onset of valve float prevents higher-rpm operation. The valves will stay open and/or "bounce" on their seats. The clearance in the valve train created by valve float will also cause hydraulic lifters to "pumpup" as they try to eliminate the valve clearance. Extended periods of valve float will damage the valvetrain.
I've heard that state of the art NHRA type "stock" cams intentionally float the valves, launching them on the front side and catching them on the back, to get around lift rules. Any truth?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's called "valve loft", and yeah, I've heard of it too. A controlled float. You measure lift while the motor is off, but you get more effective lift by lofting the valvetrain with a really aggressive ramp on the cam.

-Andrew
Old 10-07-2003, 04:28 PM

We currently use those cams in a class car that we run. NASCAR uses them too. Comp calls them a "launcher" cam. You find them in classes where you are lift limited. They alos use them in karting. Its controlled valve float. Its really crazy. All of the sudden @ 6200 the acceleration curve on the data computer starts this wicked climb since it gains a bunch more lift... They are VERY hard on cams and on all the other associated parts.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Launching or lofting the valve requires very well matched valvetrain components, especially the springs. If it's done just right the "landing" on the closing flank won't be a disaster. If it'll live for a million revs in a Cup race, it can be done correctly.

It ain't cheap to do it right.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM

True dat...

Lets put it this way, We use Schubeck cool face lifters, 1.2 ratio break in rockers, and pull the inner spring out for break in. My buddy was in a hurry last week, and tried to cut corners and break the cam in with 1.7s. The cam went flat in 7 minutes. New motor is now junk...
Old 10-08-2003, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

J-Rod:

"Haste makes..." You know the rest.

"cool face lifters" ? What are they?

Do you use welded steel cam lobes? It sounds like you might be in that enviornment.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bumping this old *** thread, didnt know about valve loft untill i ran across this a few months ago, it gets good around post #7.

Quick Reply: Valve Float, can someone explain