Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I bent a valve so....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I bent a valve so....

Hey guys newbie to his board, wanted to start out by sayin hey. Well while at the track this past saturday made the dreaded 3-2 shift, and well I dont think I bent my comp pushrods, but something is not right. Car misfires at idle, just a little noise coming from the valvetrain, and #3 sparkplug looks a little damp. Car seems to run good off idle, but really just drove it enough to get home, ses light flashes while driving. Just wanted to see if this was a sign of a bent valve. So if I have to pull the heads it will be a good time to upgrade heads and cam. I need some help deciding what to get, stage 2 ls6 or stage 2 5.3, and not sure as far as cams go. Car usually only gets driven 3 days a week, but during the summe sees some highway driving and local cruising around town. I want the car to be fast but I also want close to stock drivability. So i was thinking the tr224 and the 5.3 heads, but didn't know if the ls6 heads would produce more hp for my setup. sorry to be a little long winded but dont want to throw down the $$$$ and have to upgrade later.

98 ss
88 iroc
Old 10-09-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Think I bent a valve so....

Leak down test is all you can do to tell.

Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a broken valve spring. You should scan and see which cylinder is misfiring and pull that cover off to check the spring.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you said that the #3 plug was a bit wet, I would start there. Just do a compression test on each cylinder and i'll bet you that #3 is lower than the rest. With my "slightly" bent valve on #7 cylinder, the compression was 110psi and the others were about 220. Just a simple compression test will definitely show which cylinder to zoom in on for further diagnosis.