Sponsored by:

help me diagnose black smoke =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me diagnose black smoke =(

Well, might not be the right forum to post but here goes:

car smokes black ONLY from the right exhaust pipe on startup, and idle sounds choppy from that side as well. I tried feeling the exhaust pulses with my hand and it feels like there is twice as much coming out from the right side than the left side.

Problem seems to dissapear after 10-15 minutes of operation, and everything goes back to normal.

For the time being, I changed the plugs and the problem seems to persist, I once thought it had something to do with the exhaust and changed that too, but i was wrong.

Im suspecting the plug wires? We tried cleaning the injectors too and found that two were kinda clogged, but they cleared, problem still persists.

I have 95lbs low-z injectors and a converter box
using MSD truck wires
stock coils
NGK 9 plugs.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

As stated you need to check plug wires for a baseline. Can you get anyone with tuning software to look at it for you? Check to see how the 02 sensors are reacting too.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

ops forgot to mention its an sd tune, its kinda worrying me alot though
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Install new o2 sensors.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

thats exactly my point when I said its an SD tune, im not using the O2 sensors.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ayousef
thats exactly my point when I said its an SD tune, im not using the O2 sensors.
So you have an OPEN LOOP SD tune.

You can have a closed loop SD tune that goes into closed loop and uses the front O2's...

Have you scanned it to see how far off the fueling is ? Normally black smoke = way rich.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad30th
So you have an OPEN LOOP SD tune.

You can have a closed loop SD tune that goes into closed loop and uses the front O2's...

Have you scanned it to see how far off the fueling is ? Normally black smoke = way rich.

Rob (Bad30th)
yes its an open loop SD.

Now thing is, ok let's say the car is rich, why is ONE side smoking, and only for 10-15minutes and goes away?

Again the exhaust feels twice as dense on the right side than it is on the left, and choppy too. (this goes back to normal when the smoke clears up)

How bad could this be?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ayousef
yes its an open loop SD.

Now thing is, ok let's say the car is rich, why is ONE side smoking, and only for 10-15minutes and goes away?

Again the exhaust feels twice as dense on the right side than it is on the left, and choppy too.

How bad could this be?
If I'm not mistaken the Vette each side has its own muffler/exhaust (ala true duals), so it would seem to point to something on the right side (sorry for stating the obvious)... Checked fuel injectors ?(unlikely, but possible)...

Do you have access to a scanner ?

What's the vacuum leak you're referring to in your sig ? (If it's fueling for the extra air from the vacuum leak and the vacuum leak occurs 10-15 min or after warmup, that could be the cause of the extra fuel at startup)...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad30th
If I'm not mistaken the Vette each side has its own muffler/exhaust (ala true duals), so it would seem to point to something on the right side (sorry for stating the obvious)... Checked fuel injectors (unlikely, but possible)...

Do you have access to a scanner ?

What's the vacuum leak you're referring to in your sig ? (If it's fueling for the extra air from the vacuum leak and the vacuum leak occurs 10-15 min or after warmup, that could be the cause of the extra fuel at startup)...

Rob (Bad30th)
Ops, sorry forget about that leak, we cured it a while back.

I can drive the car fine, but it seems like im fouling the plugs more than often, I know it has something to do with the fact that we had a hard time turning down the low-z 95lbs @ 58PSI of fuel pressure, but also something to do with the NGK 9 plugs (too cold).

Im switching them to 7's and changing out the injectors to high-impedance 60lbs + the wires for new ones, We did find that one wire shorted to the header but swapped that, the other wires "visually" look fine.

I dont know where else to look for, and again this is getting on my nerves like anything!!

At least if it was there the whole time it would be easier to understand, but something that only shows up on a cold start and dissapears after 10minutes is weird.