Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should we look for when ordering rotating assembly ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should we look for when ordering rotating assembly ?

I'm in the way to order a 408 rotating assembly for my N/A setup
there is a lot of chooses like upgrading from 8740 ARP Rod bolts to 2000 Rod ARP bolts,also Balancing the Rotating Assembly is it required ?
steel top instead of plasma Moly top is it required ?
this is the first time for me to order rotating assembly so i want to know what i will need.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

up up up up
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wesam
I'm in the way to order a 408 rotating assembly for my N/A setup
there is a lot of chooses like upgrading from 8740 ARP Rod bolts to 2000 Rod ARP bolts,also Balancing the Rotating Assembly is it required ?
steel top instead of plasma Moly top is it required ?
this is the first time for me to order rotating assembly so i want to know what i will need.
I strongly suggest you discuss this with someone who does that for a living and buy the whole shebang from him. racer7088 comes to mind, as do a few others who aren't necessarily sponsors, but who I trust to steer you in the right direction for your needs.

If you do contact someone for advice, and you like it, buy the stuff from them. Remember they get distributor pricing and you, as an individual do not. You will end up paying jst about the same, and with professional advice, you may save yourself tons of headaches and probably save money in the long run.

Many people make the mistake of overbuying big time on bottom ends and end up not having enough budget for the stuff that moves wind and makes the power. It's a Catch 22, because if your super-strong bottom end doesn't have good heads, cam, etc. it won't make the power and is way too strong for the power it supports.

IMO, too many folks overkill the bottom end because there are so many good parts choices, and they are "hard" parts we can all get out minds around, unlike head ports and valve events which are difficult to judge except by their performance after they are built into an engine. That's the reason head hype is all about "flowbench CFM" , "port volume" and "velocity" and cams are hyped by big duration numbers and of course kool names. Too much (or the wrong) duration on a cam will hurt you a LOT more than too strong rod bolts or 4340AQ steel cranks vs. non-Aircraft Quality 4340.

Choose your source of advice wisely, and don't spec out your rotating assembly yourself, wesam. That's the best advice I can give. It's free, and worth as much as you just paid for it.

Good luck.

Jon