Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 or 5.4 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 or 5.4 engine?

I found this guy who claims he has a '5.4l' engine out of a chevy truck for sale. my understanding was chevy never made a 5.4l engine and that he's mistaking it for the regular old 5.3l one. He said the engine has about 10k miles on it and was pulled under warranty from another guys truck because it was burning oil (like 1 quart every 3k miles) and so through some turn of events, this guy ended up with the engine. He has the whole thing for sale for $300. I was thinking about buying it for only the heads if: 1. it's the right engine. 2. the heads are aluminum. 3. they will work on my car (2001 ws.6). My question is, did chevy ever make a 5.4l engine? just so I don't get it mixed up when going to look at the engine? Is there anyway I can tell if the heads will fit my car w/o pulling off one of my heads and looking at the bolt pattern? and would it be benificial to buy this engine, send the heads out to get ported and polished and have some bigger valves stuck in them, and later on try to sell the shortblock? Or just send out my stock heads to have machined up? I thought $300 sounded like a good deal if all I wanted was the heads. What do you guys think? Should I do it or not?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

u sure its not a ford engine? theirs is a 5.4L... $300 for a complete engine sounds fishy, as the heads alone r worth twice that... but if it is either a 4.8L or a 5.3L, get it, like u said, take the heads and sell it for what u paid for it...
Old 10-27-2003, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

yea, I was wondering if it was the ford engine. If I remember right, he said chevy. I found the casting numbers to tell what engine it is on LS1.com. So I'm gonna check them.

Quick Reply: 5.3 or 5.4 engine?