Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 01:52 PM
Teching In

Default 99 Trans am

I had my motor redone a year or so ago. I did not put much driving on it at all. The motor was good for that year. The next year when I start it it runs great but as soon as it is warmed up it smokes bad. It still runs good just smokes bad. I no my rings need some work but as bad as it smokes I am sure it is not just the rings. Any help on this. I have a 418 stroker I am putting in the car sitting in a crate right now but I just want to take care of this fist before I change it. I am taped on cash right now that is the only reason I have not changed it yet. This is a 1999 ls1 with stge 2 243 heads on it.
Any help please.
Thanks

Last edited by William 5900; 04-23-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: smoke problem.
Old 04-23-2009 | 11:32 PM
Launching!

It does sound like you have ring problems or your cylinder wall have got scored. You can try some engine restore that you can pick up at a local auto parts store and change to a thicker oil for the time being and baby the car till you can swap motors becuase it is just going to get worse. You can do a compression check to see how bad it is also. Good luck with it.
Old 04-24-2009 | 10:13 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. I was just waiting for the cash to change over my motors then just rebuild the old motor in it. I think I will do the compression ckeck first. I used the egine restore and it did not help at all. So I am thinking the rings are bad. Thanks again for the help.
Bill
Old 04-24-2009 | 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by William 5900
I had my motor redone a year or so ago. I did not put much driving on it at all. The motor was good for that year. The next year when I start it it runs great but as soon as it is warmed up it smokes bad. It still runs good just smokes bad. I no my rings need some work but as bad as it smokes I am sure it is not just the rings.
If you just had it "redone" a year or so ago, and the rings already need "some work" you got a crappy engine job from whoever did it.

Leakdown test data is needed before anyone here can make an informed guess as to the problem. Go get a leakdown gauge, or have a shop do it, and report back with results for all 8 cylinders.
Old 04-24-2009 | 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

what color is the smoke? blue/black/white?
blue=oil...probably rings
black=unburnt fuel, running too rich
white=water/coolant, possible blown headgasket.

a leakdown and compression test is definetly needed
Old 04-25-2009 | 02:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replys on here it helps me alot. I am just going to pull the motor and put my 418 stroker in. Then I can take my old motor apart and see what the problem is. I am sure I need new rings so that is part of the problem.
Thanks guy,
Bill