Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if Im having VALVE FLOAT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From how you described it your clutch is definately slipping.

The reason it only does it in the higher gears is because when you are in the lower gears you have a better gearing advantage and the clutch has to transfer less torque through it to spin the rear wheels. When you start getting into the higher gears the clutch has to transfer more torque since the gear ratio is less advantageous.

Just drop the tranny and look. The glazing on the flywheel will be obvious is its slipping.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it just kills me. Iv NVER missed a gear driving, and Im realy good at driving a manual, I dont ride the clutch or anything that would cause the clutch to go out. The car makes 600 RWHP is that a factor. But, I dont even race it very much, hardly ever... I dont doubt what your saying, I just hate the thought..
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ What, "super nice expensive clutch," is it?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive never owned a 600 hp car but ive road in plenty a fast car with a slipping clutch and it sounds exactly like what your having. 4th 5th and 6th have more of a load as stated above than free-er reving 1st 2nd and 3rd making it slip when it gets into those gears only. I bet if you WOT it 1st thru 4th or 5th at least it will slip at high rpm in 2nd and 3rd since you've never experienced it slipping in that low a gear it will be a surprise but I've seen a lot of my friends and my own cars do the same thing.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ What, "super nice expensive clutch," is it?
Not sure, I know, I know, I should know my own car. But, I was told a new one was close to $700.00 about a year ago when the tranny was out to do the rear main,
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

The clutch slipping isn't necessary from poor driving skills. The clutch disk/pressure plate combo is rated to hold a certain amount of torque. You can usually get away with going over that rating a bit, but if you make way more power than its rated for it will slip no matter how nice you shift it - the friction material and the clamping force simply can not transfer the torque.

I had basically the same experience. I did some mods to a car I used to own knowing full well it would fry the stock clutch since I would be making about 100hp over stock. The clutch lasted 3 weeks before it ever started slipping. Replacing it with an aftermarket part that was rated for the torque I was producing fixed the issue right up.

You might try to find out what clutch was installed. Not all clutches are made equal. For example, an unsprung copper disk will take a LOT more abuse than a sprung kevlar disk. Of course, one of those will be harsher to drive too...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Well, Im 2300 miles from any kind of shop. I can pull it myself, but wont really know what Im looking at... The car makes 600 rwhp but I havent really gotten on it since I moved here from Houston TX. I granny the car, maybe letting the car stay in gear a bit longer to hear the turbo spool up a little....
Old 05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Everything still sounds like clutch to me. Since you know how to drive standard transmissions it's probably not caused by anything you did after adding massive HP.With 600HP you will need a very good clutch, maybe a twin disc?? I don't really know as I don't have anywhere near that power. I'll bet it's fun when everything works.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Im at about 40 MPH and slowly roll into it and I cant really explain the sound, but the RPMs just sky rocket and it seems like Im free reving, the car dosnt build anymore speed when this is happing, its just crazy.
No need for a video. Even the newest newb knows this is the exact description of your clutch letting go. Gah. How could you own these cars and be so completely ignorant?! I don't mean that in a mean way; it's just astounding!

yeah but the clutch only comes into play when Im shifting gears right.?
WRONG.

Yeah, thats exactly what its doing. But this is a super nice expensive clutch. I NEVER get a clutch smell, and people will tell ya, Im a champ driving manuals. I wonder if a little oil didnt leak out the rear main and get on the clutch, but I guess it would do this all of the time then....????

I cant afford to chase parts. That gets expensive.
You don't have to, "Champ." It's so obviously the clutch it's not even funny.

Well I just took the car out. And it seems to only be doing this in 4th 5th and 6th gear. I roll into in and the rpms revs up but the car doesnt speed up, and thre is some kind of vibration when all of this is happening. And when I let off the throttle, the vibration goes away and the car acts normal again.....

Yeah new springs would be nice, but I dont like chasing parts. I need to address and fix the current issue.
Stop talking about valve springs. Again, you just described perfectly the symptoms of a clutch letting go.

The car makes 600 RWHP is that a factor.
Did you just ask if 600rwhp could be a factor in your clutch slipping? You asked this after asking if having a rear main oil leak could be a factor too, right?

"Yes" on both accounts.

Not sure, I know, I know, I should know my own car. But, I was told a new one was close to $700.00 about a year ago when the tranny was out to do the rear main,
Oh, yeah! That's a SUPER expensive clutch! Pardon my heavy sarcasm.

But, don't worry, Champ. We all have to learn. You now know what happens when clutches go out, so next time it happens, you won't think it's your crank shaft or something.

You're also about to learn how much clutches cost and how much they cost to install. Here's a hint, Champ: not cheap.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I vote clutch as well... mine did this when I was doing about 75 on the freeway in 6th gear then punched it... RPM's went up but the car didn't go any faster. Swapped my clutch out and it fixed the problem...

oh, and my "super expensive" clutch at that point in time was a $1400 setup with 18k miles on it, so it can happen to any of them...
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sharpe
no need for a video. Even the newest newb knows this is the exact description of your clutch letting go. Gah. How could you own these cars and be so completely ignorant?! I don't mean that in a mean way; it's just astounding!

Wrong.

You don't have to, "champ." it's so obviously the clutch it's not even funny.

Stop talking about valve springs. Again, you just described perfectly the symptoms of a clutch letting go.

Did you just ask if 600rwhp could be a factor in your clutch slipping? You asked this after asking if having a rear main oil leak could be a factor too, right?

"yes" on both accounts.

Oh, yeah! That's a super expensive clutch! Pardon my heavy sarcasm.

But, don't worry, champ. We all have to learn. You now know what happens when clutches go out, so next time it happens, you won't think it's your crank shaft or something.

You're also about to learn how much clutches cost and how much they cost to install. Here's a hint, champ: Not cheap.

Good luck!

thanks for all of the input champ.!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This def sounds like a clutch, maybe it's just worn out with time. A super easy way to check if it is the clutch is just find a big hill with a nice steep incline. Go up the hill in a high gear such as 5th, if the rpms start rising but your mph stays the same or barely goes up then thats def the clutch. At least it isnt a engine problem, a clutch is a clutch man, dont worry so much. And $700 for a clutch setup isnt what people would call "Super expensive" lol. Your pushing 600rwhp, the clutch is going to go sooner or later. Just get a new clutch and be done with it, from everything everyone has said and if it indeed turns out to be the clutch then you should just relax.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
This def sounds like a clutch, maybe it's just worn out with time. A super easy way to check if it is the clutch is just find a big hill with a nice steep incline. Go up the hill in a high gear such as 5th, if the rpms start rising but your mph stays the same or barely goes up then thats def the clutch. At least it isnt a engine problem, a clutch is a clutch man, dont worry so much. And $700 for a clutch setup isnt what people would call "Super expensive" lol. Your pushing 600rwhp, the clutch is going to go sooner or later. Just get a new clutch and be done with it, from everything everyone has said and if it indeed turns out to be the clutch then you should just relax.
Yeah your right man. Thanks for the advise. I did the hill thing and yup it slipsssssss. I was figuring that, just like getting second opinions. You know.? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: How do I know if Im having VALVE FLOAT